Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

I had a reactor, but took it offline because I couldn't get the flow right. I think its because I chose to go with a Two Little Fishies reactor and i guess they aren't the best choice. I've seen posts on how to mod them for more flow, but it looks like they've changed the inputs and the outputs on them since those posts were made. I may try running it again with less pellets in it, just to see if it can get the nitrates down enough to where they aren't an issue

I'm still upset about the Potters, I had him almost two years and about a week ago or so his color started fading and he went on a hunger strike. It sucks, because they are one of my favorite fish in this hobby and I really want to try another one, but the chances of getting one that adjusted to captivity as well as mine are probably about as good as me winning the lottery

Aipstaisa sucks. I dont know where it came from, I was sure to check everything that went in my tank. I had literally hundreds of them in my DT, but my Klein's butterfly has eaten EVERY single one. I suppose a dying brain coral and a few zooanthids isn't too bad a price to pay. My overflows are both still full of them though. I've honestly though about getting a few peppermints and tossing them in the overflows. In any case, between the nitrates and the butterfly, most corals are off the list of possibilities. Very, very frustrated at this point

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your potters angel North :c Those angels are beyond beautiful!

I hope someday you can find another beauty that is as adjusted to tank life as well as the last one. It may be slim to none, but you never know.

Best of luck north!

Tested for everything I can think of, everything comes back within acceptable ranges other than nitrates, which are at 5 ppm - not high enough to kill what otherwise is a healthy fish

Out of ideas, and really, really frustrated. Considering a full tear down and starting over

Not a fun way to celebrate the holiday for sure. I start my tear down in the morning. Not looking forward to it. But a fresh start can be fun with all you know you would do different if you could start over. Stay positive.

I feel kinda bad suggesting this, but maybe you had too many high strung tangs in that tank. Although there might not have been any outward signs of aggressions, there could have been stuff going on our mammal brains just couldnt understand like chemical signaling between the fish.

But dont tear down, this might be a low spot, but think of how many great high points you have had with the tank.

Do you have any fireworms in your tank? I've heard alot of horror storys about firewors killing fish. Sorry if this dosen't give any information on what may be happening just trying to help.

I feel kinda bad suggesting this, but maybe you had too many high strung tangs in that tank. Although there might not have been any outward signs of aggressions, there could have been stuff going on our mammal brains just couldnt understand like chemical signaling between the fish.

But dont tear down, this might be a low spot, but think of how many great high points you have had with the tank.

Awesome post. Very POSITIVE. This is what I like to read in POSTS !! :Cheers:

Yeah man, don't tear it down. Find the problem, fix it and start having fun with the tank!!!

I've just read your entire thread and I would have to agree with lil fish and slwegde try finding out what the problem is and fix it(although it might be a PITA) but your tank was pretty amazing. GL either way and hoping the best for ya.

Awesome post. Very POSITIVE. This is what I like to read in POSTS !! :Cheers:

Naturally....little_fish always gives awesome advice :)

Deep breath, North....it does suck not knowing what's going on with all the deaths. Hopefully things start looking up.

So, been quite a while since I've updated the thread. I was at a pretty low spot after losing most of my corals and several fish to what I believe was some sort of contamination in my well water. I've recently moved off of my well water and on to municipal water. I've also re-homed a wrasse that went rogue and started eating my CUC, as well as a butterfly that I had to temporarily take care of aipstaisa. I also got a BRS GFO reactor online, its been running for about a week and a half now. I am still seeing a few pockets of Cyano in my tank, but its not too bad

This weekend I went out and added a Duncan frag and a Lobophyilla brain to see if things are squared away in the tank Here are some photos. I have seen some pretty awesome iPhone photos on here, sadly, for some reason mine never turn out well, though the tank is currently pretty blue (I am playing around with my Sols again to get a new look on the tank)

Current Stock List

Fish
Ocellaris Clowns
YT Damsel
Black Leopard Wrasse
Banngai Cardinal
Sqareback Anthias (Male)
Sailfin Tang
Naso Tang
Hippo Tang

Invers of note
Crocea Clam
Coral Banded Shrimp
Pincushion Urchin
Tuxedo Urchin
Blue Linka Starfish

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

Not sure if the problems were in the previous tank or current, however, heavy metals in the water you were using could have been the culprit. Did you find any definitive answers?

Problems were in the same tank. Iron deposits in my original RO/DI were the only real proof I had. Started with a brand new filtration system on municipal water. It's got a TDS of 4 before the DI and 0 afterwards - so I think the water is set

Back