Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

What kind of foam are you supposed to put between the tank and the stand before filling it with water? You want something that compacts under weight correct? I'm going to venture over to Home Depot when it opens and see what I can come up with

What kind of foam are you supposed to put between the tank and the stand before filling it with water? You want something that compacts under weight correct? I'm going to venture over to Home Depot when it opens and see what I can come up with

You don't on mass market aquariums that have frames built into them.I used these linking play mats except the ones I bought were all grey.

Shop 4-Piece 2' x 2' Linking Mats at Lowes.com

Okay, frame is open topped, so no foam. Here are some photos

Tank after being delivered and put in place:
P8300222.jpg

Lifereef System / skimmer
P8300223.jpg

Sand and some rock from Marco Rock
P8300224.jpg

Still waiting on about 100 lbs of rock. Wife wants me to start moving boxes out of everywhere, it wont hurt anything if I put the dry rock in the tank and start 'scaping with it before there is water in the tank will it?

Still waiting on about 100 lbs of rock. Wife wants me to start moving boxes out of everywhere, it wont hurt anything if I put the dry rock in the tank and start 'scaping with it before there is water in the tank will it?

Nope, that's how I set my tank up when I got my rocks from MarcoRocks

Awesome,your just about ready to get wet.

I hope you like the sand from Marco better then I do.It's too fine(oolitic) and will not stay put for nothing.

The plan is to get wet sometime this week or over labor day weekend. I'm still waiting on about 100 lbs of rock (sad it didn't come today) and a RO / DI unit that should arrive tomorrow. Going to set something up with my dad to help me get the plumbing all squared away (he's a hydrolics engineer and wants an aquarium but can't convince my mom its a good idea). This has been a father and son project, so I wouldn't want to set it up without him

I do have a question though, can you take out the vertical boards on the stand for installing the sump? Does the tank have to come off the stand to do so? There is no way the sump is fitting in there through one of the doors.

Reef I'll let you know how the sand works out for me, I got the finest sand I could find, as I was under the impression that was best for most of the critters.

+1 Biff

Do you have to take the tank off the stand to take those vertical beams out? I'd much rather leave it on the stand now that some of the rock is in the tank....

You don't have to take it off the stand. The stand will hold it just fine. You just don't want to leave it without the beam for any length of time -- it will compromise the integrity of the stand eventually.

Okay, here it is all set up, due to a few complications it didn't get wet today. I might start leak testing tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_0024.jpg

It's hard to see in this photo, but the rock curves around on the sides to form a little lagoon in the center

Aint but one thing I can see wrong there.

AINT NO WATER IN IT:D

Thats gonna be a great looking tank.:D

Working on that now. Just got the sump filled to the running level. With the sump at it's operating level I just start filling the tank till it just starts to overflow correct?

I need to drill a hole in the return line for a siphon break correct?

Last edited:
Your going to want to keep adding some water after that because you have to account for the amount of water that will fill the pipes too

Back