Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

Biff was right (as usual)

The rock was not live, it was dry rock from Marcos rock. The sand from Marco REALLY blows around.

Now I'm just waiting for the water to clear up :)

How long does it normally take for the salt to clear up?

Last edited:
Home from work, and its almost clear!
IMG_0036.jpg

Excited! Up to the north woods for the weekend, but when I get back, its time to get the skimmer up and running, and start the cycle :)

Everything looks great! What are the dimensions of the tank? I have a 4' long 150. The only thing I don't like about it is I wish it was a little bit longer... I love the length (*waits for that's what she said joke*)

Everything looks great! What are the dimensions of the tank? I have a 4' long 150. The only thing I don't like about it is I wish it was a little bit longer... I love the length (*waits for that's what she said joke*)

It's 6' by 2' by 2'

As far as a stocking list, this is what I have so far

Pair of Ocellaris Clows
Cardinalfish
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
Blue Tank
Mandarin

As far as coral, its mosting going to be 'shrooms and zoas

Inverts will be snails, maybe a few hermits, a blue linkia star, and a clam at some point, plus whatever else I need to keep the tank clean and the sand stirred

The cycle starts tonight with some LR from the LFS :)

Okay, so I have one Koralia 7 on the left side of the tank. I've moved it up as far as I can to keep it under water, and its even pointed slightly upwards (to ripple the surface of the tank) and it STILL churns up the sand. Do I need to get a smaller powerhead?

Oh, and I went out and got some seed rock from the LFS last night, so the cycle is underway!

my sand did the same think for a while, I think it is just the super fine part and will stop in a week or so--about the same time the algea will start.

Well, the cycle has been under way for a little over a week. Ammonia has been pretty stable at .25 ppm, and Nitrite is now reading .1

It looks like algae has started too, my sand has tons of golden brown spots on it - is this the point where I get some of Biff's magic Cheto for the 'fuge?

just wait until your tank is cycled before worrying about adding anything in my opinion... the diatoms are part of the process

Wow this build is awesome!!!!! Man im really jealous because i have a 120 gal but man that 180 sure is pretty. Thats gonna be my upgrade when ever i can convence my finance that its a good idea and that i definately need it........hahaha.....dont think that will go over well, but anyways great build man cant wait to see it progress.

Okay, so I owe everyone an update

The Hydor has been running a week, and the water is still cloudy from the sand blowing around. I am beginning to think the Hydor 7 is too large for my tank - thoughts? (Its up as hight as I can get it, moving it up any higher would take it out of the water )

I also figured out a light for hte 'fuge. I ended up going to Home Depot and getting an R30 Floodnight that is a daylight bulb (listed as 5000k on the package) It has an internal reflector and is a CFL 65 watt equivilant bulb - that should be sufficient to grow Chaeto in the 'fuge correct?

I think the floodlight will be too much, and may run too hot. I use a 23 watt CFL bulb (one of the squiggly ones) in a clamp-on shop light that I got at Home Depot. I'd set up the floodlight and watch it for a while, make sure it doesn't get too hot.

I started with the squiggly cfl bulb, but with the metal reflector on the clamp light I couldn't really get it close to the 'five, with the floodlight I can ditch the reflector and get much, much closer to the 'fugue

Anyone think a hydor 7 is to large?

Back