Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

Although you are not supposed to do this, you can always run a small bead of silicone around each bulkhead to help prevent leaking.

(Yes, I used about six tubes to do my bulkheads, hahaha).

If the stupid rubber gaskets aren't lined up perfectly, you get a leak. Thank god I decided to test them before getting the tank totally full. After all day, I am pretty sure one side is all good, and there is just a slight drip on the other side. Going to leave it sit overnight and see where I'm at.

My wife was all for the tank until I had issues with incorrectly sized tubing from lifereef and the leaks with the bulk heads :(. I keep telling her it's worth it

First off holy crap that looks like goodies everywhere and I am insanely jealous!

2nd, I was looking at the picture and it looks like the braces on the top match perfectly to where the lights are in the hood, did you change the braces or was that not an issue as you originally thought?

3rd.....im jealous!

My wife was all for the tank until I had issues with incorrectly sized tubing from lifereef and the leaks with the bulk heads :(. I keep telling her it's worth it

She'll get over it. Just wait 'til you have a big flood. :shock:

I welcome little drips, it the big flowing ones that I hate.

Your tank is going to be great.

Okay, I owe my fellow reffers some answers:

I did not do anything to the braces, I was mistaken earlier when I thought I would have an issue - pretty sure reefreak pointed that out to me at some point

Dcan - The goal is not to have any floods :)

As far as a full gear list, I hope this is everything:

Standard All Glass Aquarium / Aqueon 180 Gallon Reef Ready Tank and Stand
72" Marineland Pro 24 Hour lighting system
2X 250 W Marineland Stealth Heaters
2X Hydor Koralia 7's
LifeReef LifeRefugium II
LifeReef VS-24 Protien Skimmer
Blue Line 40 HDX return pump
Blue Line 30 HD pump for driving the skimmer
(Pumps where part of the Lifereef system designed by Jeff)

I think that coveres all of the big stuff. I hope to get that silly bulkhead sorted out tonight and get it filled with water

Threads on the nut for the last leaky bulkhead got stripped

I figured if Biff used silicone, it was okay for me to cheat too. Now it's got to cure for 48 hours :(

Yep, only thing is, it's going to be a bitch to take off if you need to down the road for some reason! I hedged my bets, and figured I'd cross that bridge when I got there. ;)

With the nut on the bulkhead deformed enough so that I cant loosen it, its going to be a pain to remove anyway, at least with the silicone it won't be leaking water and I can move forward

Besides, I figure if the all powerful, all knowing Biff used silicone, its okay for me to do the same :)

Silicone worked on initial test, but failed once tank was full and the pump was on. Next step is Channel ox to loosen the bad nut, if that doesn't work I am going to have to figure out a way to cut the bulkhead out

Between this and getting passed over for a long over due promotion at work, I'm really frustrated :(

Amy suggestions for removing a bulkhead with a deformed nut (bulkhead wrench is not an option)

Notice anything different?

IMG_0033.jpg

One small drip leak on the Lifereef Manifold, that I should have patched up pretty quick - but its up and running.

I do have one question though. The water level is stable in the sump, but it rises and falls pretty regularly about a quarter of an inch, is this a burp of air in the system or something I should be concerned about?

Feels like I'm talking to myself, but here are some more photos!

After running with freshwater for a few days, can still see some sand blowing around
IMG_0034.jpg

And I added the salt last night, this is what it looked like this morning:
IMG_0033.jpg

I will be glad when the water finally clears up

:lol: ,nah,alot of people just pop in and see whats going on ,just don't leave comments...like me...looking good though:Cheers:

did you have live rock in the tank? If so, there's a chance you killed it but having it in fresh water for so long.

I think he was using dry rock from Marco.

It was looking good after it cleared up the first time! Why did you have to go and add that salt?! :lol:

Back