Samantha's 50 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Found this brave soul in my sump:
DSC04757.jpg

I've had snails crawl out of the DT before, but I've never had one make it all the way down into the sump. Congrats lil' margarita snail! :Cheers:

The bulbs are amazing, and I actually got the chance to sit down and just stare at my corals yesterday evening (I've been kinda busy), and I couldn't believe how great everything looked! Not only do the new lights enhance the color of the corals, but it looks like my corals are actually gaining more color! My montiporas which were bright dark green when I bought them, had paled to a light green over time in my tank, but with the new lights, they seem to be getting darker green again! The color transformation is pretty gradual, but I'm EXCITED!!! :mrgreen:

How much do you want to bet he'll make it back into the sump eventually? I keep finding the same critters in my overflow over and over. :grumble:

As promised, PICTURE TIME! :razz:

My new starfish, Chuck:
DSC04837.jpg

I bought some corals from a guy on CL a couple of weeks ago. Here they are...

Pink Leather:
DSC04865.jpg

Purple Hammer (it's a little shriveled; I think the flow was a little much for it. Hopefully it perks up soon):
DSC04855.jpg

Bi-Color Hammer:
DSC04890.jpg

Purple Frogspawn (the one on the right of the pic; the one on the left is from my 14 gallon Biocube that I broke down [hence, more pics from that soon!]):
DSC04853.jpg

So...I broke down my 14 gallon Biocube because I'm starting a 47 gallon macroalgae DT, and three aquariums seemed like a little much for right now. I moved the corals from the BC14 to my 50 gallon, and here are a few pics of them...

Green Mushroom:
DSC04905.jpg

Bullseye Mushroom:
DSC04907.jpg

Purple Mushroom:
DSC04906.jpg

The Pink Palys and Green Zoas are from the BC14:
DSC04858.jpg

Eagle Eye Zoas:
DSC04859.jpg

Some more Green Zoas:
DSC04860.jpg

A blurry pic of some Daisy Polyps:
DSC04861.jpg

Orange Zoas and Xenia:
DSC04862.jpg

Several baby Frogspawn heads:
DSC04868.jpg

Purple Hearted Red Ring Zoas (I apologize again for the bluriness :():
DSC04912.jpg

Last edited:
Two pics of my large monti that demonstrate how well the corals have recovered (and how much more awesome they look under the new lights ;))...

A Few Months Ago...
DSC04534.jpg

This Week...
DSC04884.jpg

Chuck is gorgeous! Is he some type of fromia?

Also, I think that leather is actually a gorgonian. It's really nice!

Thank you! Yes, Chuck is a Red Fromia. There's a LFS about an hours drive from me that gets some pretty cool starfish in, but they only have them certain times of the year. I've been waiting for them to stock these lil' guys for months. :mrgreen:

As for the leather being a gorgonian. I have no idea! The CL guy said it was a leather, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. ;) I googled gorgonian and it does kind of look like that. I don't know anything about gorgonians. How would I know if it is one or not? Personally, I thought the frag looked a lot like colt coral...

Last edited:
Back