Samhain's 90 Gallon Reef

Looking awesome! Sad to hear about your flameback angel, but the others are looking good. What are you getting next week as a replacement?

Woops! Somehow i missed the question about a replacement! I'm getting a juvenile caribbean blue tang. When young, they're bright yellow with light blue around their eyes, and they mature to a beautiful slate blue with a yellow tail. I'm still hoping to get a chocolate tang in the future, but this is another beautiful tang that i've had my eye on. I may just opt for a young adult chocolate tang, as bluezoo seems to have them in stock fairly regularly.

Woops! Somehow i missed the question about a replacement! I'm getting a juvenile caribbean blue tang. When young, they're bright yellow with light blue around their eyes, and they mature to a beautiful slate blue with a yellow tail. I'm still hoping to get a chocolate tang in the future, but this is another beautiful tang that i've had my eye on. I may just opt for a young adult chocolate tang, as bluezoo seems to have them in stock fairly regularly.

Awesome!! Can't wait to see pics :)

Here's the tank today. Ash the Flameback angel has settled in nicely and is acting the model citizen. No coral eating, but he's taking frozen very well, as well as grazing on the rocks throughout the day. I do believe that's going to make keeping a mandarin in this tank an impossibility, since Ash seems to be nibbling the pods quite efficiently. My flameback replacement arrived today in apparent good health as well. I acclimated very slowly over about three hours with lights out to avoid any sort of stress on the tang.

Anyway, here she is! May I introduce Hermione!
IMG_1161.jpg

Ash settled in. And if you look very closely towards the back of the Big Cave, you can see Onyx flitting around....
IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

And Jaques enjoying the nori sheet
IMG_1168.jpg

Hermione seems to be ignoring the nori sheet, although she ate frozen emerald entree/squid/marine cuisine slurry voraciously this evening, and she's been nibbling the gracillaria that's growing throughout the tank.

A mediocre update. All my fish are doing great! That's the good news. Hermione the tang is eating like a pig, both frozen and nori. That makes me sooooo happy! Other inhabitants are doing well too. No aggression, even during feeding times.:sfish:

Bad news: I lost my absolute favorite acan to brown jelly disease. It was the lovely acid green one, adding new heads regularly. Then came the salinity disaster, and it never really recovered well from that. Yesterday I noticed that half of it was turning brown and gelatinous, and out of the tank it went. :( Rest of the corals are doing great though. My temperamental duncan has even sprouted a new head! Hard to get a photo of it though; it's on the back side right near a rock, and the other head completely overshadows it. But it's there, galdernit, and that makes me happy! :D

BLAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Nothing good to report. The silicon sealing busted loose on my inherited protein skimmer a few days ago. I re-siliconed the crap out of every single seam in the dang thing, and it's still leaking. Based on my experience with the Aqua-C Remora, I've purchased an Aqua-C Urchin in-sump skimmer, since it fits in my current budget. Perhaps sometime later I'll be able to get a new Bubble Magus or Reef Octopus, but for now the Urchin shall have to do! I hope I'm happy with it and that it's effective. I don't think anyone else on this board is running an Urchin, but I know of a few running the Remora, and everyone that has it seems happy with it. Time to try another one of the Aqua-C products to see if the entire line is a good buy!

Most of the skimmers are made from acrylic I believe and silicone wont work very well. I would try using weld on, that is made for biding acrylic to acrylic.

Put the Urchin Pro in my tank, and it's working GREAT! I highly recommend this skimmer for anyone that has a smaller sump and a moderately sized tank. Anyway, the tank is happier than it's been in a while, and things are smoothing out. Pics when I find where my little one has hidden my camera!

Back