Samhain's Little Kitchen Reef

Corals ordered last night! Should be here tomorrow. So stoked! Lots of zoas and palys, some mushrooms, and 5 different types of SPS to try out in the little kitchen reef. I got two types of birdsnest (ORA green and tyree), a purple monti cap, a monti digitata, and a pavona. Most of the zoas, palys and all the mushrooms will be going in the 90 to avoid conflict with my SPS. This will be my first venture into SPS keeping, so any advice on placement, feeding, etc. will be appreciated. As a reminder, the SPS will be going under a 4 bulb T5 fixture that is currently about an inch and a half above the water surface.

I can't wait to see the pics! Sps haven't been to terribly difficult for me so far. Just make sure your parameters are stable and you keep up with regular water changes which I'm sure you will :) I would love to get some more Sps myself.

Corals are here! Temp/drip acclimation complete, now working on light acclimation. Ordered from Atlantic Sea Farms, who seem to be pretty nice folks. They accidentally forgot to send the second page of my order, so I will be getting those on Thursday free of charge. The guy there said that they are used to much smaller orders that all print out on one page, but mine took two! I ordered a total of 22 corals, but only received 16. Oh well. That just means another surprise in the mail later this week! I kinda feel bad that they're gonna eat the shipping charge on the second shipment, but it was their bad. Anyway, pics as promised....

Drip acclimation
IMG_1338.jpg

Zoas/Palys
IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

SPS Garden
IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

And with the Monti Digi
IMG_1346.jpg

Pavona (I really like this one!)
IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

Here are some update shots now that everything is acclimated and in place. So far my favorites are the Pavona and the Tyree Birdsnest in that order. I also really really like my Green Bay Packers zoas and my Fire and Ice zoas. What can I say? I'm a big fan of zoas.............

FTS
IMG_1381.jpg

Right half of the tank
IMG_1392.jpg

Blurry shot of the left side of the tank. I have since added the F&I zoas and an Aquaclear HOB fuge to this side of the tank.
IMG_1393.jpg

Coral Close-Ups

Pavona
IMG_1382.jpg

Green People Eaters with a random bonus green zoa
IMG_1383.jpg

Monti Cap
IMG_1385.jpg

Tyree Birdsnest
IMG_1386.jpg

ORA Birdsnest
IMG_1387.jpg

One of my Acans from my 90 (moved because my urchin had taken a liking to toting this particular frag around)
IMG_1388.jpg

Favia from the 90 ( I was never truly happy with where I had this guy placed, so I decided to move him over too. He was also regularly knocked over by my urchin)
IMG_1389.jpg

Monti Digi and GBP zoas with a Clownfish photobomb
IMG_1390.jpg

Last edited:
I see you have the light standing on top of the tank?? How did you get it like that or does it just fit?? I have the same light and the legs were just a tad too long so i had to flip them upside down and hang the light underneath the kitchen cabinets.

It's very carefully balanced right now. The legs really are just a touch too long! I've been debating doing just what you did, especially since that will help with overheating issues, but since i'm seriously considering getting the new marinelands when they come out, i've been holding off.

Back