Sarah's new 60 gallon!

Sad update: I came home Friday evening to find my Angel on its' side on the sand bed, gasping. I tested my water, 0,0,10. No answer there. He died. I did a 10% water change. Then another chromis went missing the next morning and my clown died. That one really hurt. I loved him.
I now have 1 chromis and my six line wrasse. It's been a sad couple of days at my house.
I keep sighing and staring at my tank. My husband is out of things to say. My Worry with a capital W is; I purposely added the six line at the end of my stocking, NOW, he's in there, establishing his little territory and I Worry that in 2-4 weeks when I try to add a fish again he's going to be a SOB.
I have a thread about this, "dying flame angel" and Little Fish says the angel probably had something. I agree. I always knew not doing a QT tank was a gamble.
Part of me wants to go get 4 fish today and put them in. For many reasons. The six line, the empty tank blues, but mostly the Worry about the six line really. Unless I go a different direction and over the course of the next 2 months just add semi aggressive fish? I dunno guys. It's depressing. PLUS, today is a GLOOMY day, and while I usually love days like today, today it's just blahsville.

clowns will be able to fend off the six line with no troubles, so will another angel so add those 2 back. they will hold there own and in a few days aggression will die off (if you even have some aggression). my coral beauty was an ass to everything except my yellow tang.. added some clowns, he didnt bother with them... added 2 damsels and the same, he didnt want anything to do with them. everyone is peaceful and happy. btw,he was so aggressive he killed off a yellow eye tang, 2 chromis, and a royal gramma so there for a bit i thought i'd have to remove him but again, semi aggressive fish kept his attitude in check. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, and thanks Buddy for the great advice. I read your post and took a deep breath and calmed down, coming to the realization I'll just have to look for semi-aggressive fish now and not hurry and drop in passive fish.
My last chromis died last night, I fed the tank and when he didn't come out and I knew it couldn't be good, and, yup, there he was a few hours later.
I now have a 60 gallon tank with a six line wrasse. It's a species only tank. :) Ok, I don't really feel like smiling but, yeesh, I wanted this thread to be fun!
I guess I will start to research extremely HARDY semi aggressive fish. (tho, come on, what's hardier than a clown?)
Again, the only thing that makes sense is Little Fish's theory that the Flame had a disease and I am not sure if it is still in the tank or what.

I hate 6 lines for that reason! Bastards! Hey, if it's making you unhappy, trap that sucker and trade him in - you're at the point now where it's easier to make a decision of what you want your tank to be than if you wait until you're stocked with a bunch of fish you may have regrets about.

I personally think it's more fun to have a peaceful fish tank, with everyone just minding their own business! Of course, I violated my own advice and have started two clowns, but they're young and hopefully they'll be relatively peaceful. (and not a particularly aggressive species of clown)

I know how you feel with the species only. I ended up having a semi aggressive tank without realizing it. All my fish are jerks and all push eachother around but nobody gets hurt. Kinda funny sometimes. They are all grumpypants.

Ha! Call me "Chicken Sarah". I'll start a new trend, a cock fighting tank. Charge 2 bucks a beer and everyone can place bets til the cops show up and shut me down.

My frustration level is rising. I added a clown goby a while ago. I failed to mention him, I didn't see him for a week after I added him so assumed he was a casualty of the fish massacre I had. But, he is always perching about now. So I have now had the six line and clown goby in there for a bit. They eat. They hang out. I added 3 (more) chromis and an anthias last Friday. They all ate happily. 2 days later the anthias wouldn't eat. The next day 1 chromis was gone and the anthias died the next day. I just don't understand. Why are the goby and sixline fine but anything else added is just dying in a few days? I hate to add anything else. Ever. I don't want it to die. And I'm getting to the point where I can't just keep throwing money down the toliet. I've now lost 4 chromis, a clown, a flame angel, and an anthias. I'm starting to think I'll never have a successful tank. Is there something bulletproof about the goby and the wrasse? Is there some sort of disease in my tank that they can't get that new additions are?

I doubt it's a disease, but you can't rule it out. I'm assuming your levels are good, but if not it could be ammonia from the other fish dying.

Either way, I think you should slow down a bit and give the tank some time to recover. Enjoy the fish you have for a month or so then try adding a new fish. Did the 6 line bully the new fish at all? If they aren't comfortable they won't eat...

I agree with Alex, definitely slow down a little any time I've lost a fish and couldn't be 100% positive on the reason why I've waited a month or two before adding another. That way if anything in the tank did kill the fish I'll have sometime to hopefully get rid of it and do several water changes in interim as well.
As for those two fish, what kind of anthia was it? A lot of them don't adapt well to aquarium life. As for the chromis, I've read tons of accounts where people will add a few to their tank and after a while only one will be left due to bullying.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes. I keep running and running my tests. My amm and trites are 0. My trates are always around 10-20. My shrimp and snails and crab are all happy. After a fish death I quickly remove "it" then do a water change. I feel as though I'm in a weird spot. I've had the tank up for 3 months now. I went slow and cycled and had my perfect stocking that I obsessed over with my 2 semi aggressives last. I loved watching my fish and still cannot believe I lost so much so quickly. After the dust settled my worry was leaving my six line in there by himself to become a terror. But, you're right, I should have waited longer before adding the chromis and the anthias. It was a red sea anthias. The 2 chromis have been in there a week now. I was happily relieved when I added the new fish as the six line showed no interest in them at any time.
I will happily wait a month, 2 months before adding another fish if you think it will help. The only thing triggering me to restock was the six line as I'm now going about everything backwards with him being first. I will take your advice and leave the tank be.

Back