wontonflip's 125g build

Sucks to say it but I would say the same I'm thinking. Better safe than sorry at this point since you haven't done anything in the way of rock and sand.

Exactly. But i thought it was pointless to just put silicone over silicone, and that I'd have to peel it off and redo that piece? Thank god I've still got time to putz around with this.

OK....So i ran a finger along the seam to release the bubbles. If the bubbles reform, I'll definitely attempt to silicone it some more. But if the bubbles don't come back, I'll feel better about it. But maybe I'll silicone it anyway. Wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
I think that's a good idea. Are you sure bubbles didn't just collect there when you put the water in?

Yeah, I was thinking that those bubbles may have been from when I was running the water in it and they got caught in the seams. So hopefully, they won't form again...but if they do, then i'll know.

I hope for you that they were just water bubbles from filling. There's nothing worse than waiting for silicone to dry!

New Idea!
Throw that tank out immediately. It's gonna leak and spew everywhere. Trouble just waiting to happen. You gotta get it out of there. There'll be no way to fix the problem. You've got trouble.

Since hubby is a natural and very talented have him build you one of those plastic laminate tanks attached to the stand! Very strong. Then he can hinge a large fold down wood panel (matching of course) which would protect the front glass from the kids. It can be lifted for special viewings. Perfect!!!

Good news....after having swept the bubbles away from the silicone yesterday, no new bubbles have formed! So looks like I'm in the free and clear with leaks....so far. I'll probably keep the tank filled for a few days, then drain it so we can finish up the cabinet.

I can't believe I haven't posted anything on this since May! But now I have something to post about. We ordered a Mag 18 from my lfs yesterday (who actually beat the price of a mag 18 from Marinedepot.com!), and got a bunch of plumbing parts to replace the old ones on the tank (ie, bulkheads, overflow strainers, fittings). Also went ahead and ordered a bucket of Tropic Marin salt (they sold their last one earlier that day, so had to order me more) Spent a good hour there. Hubby was with me, this time, so he now understands why a trip to the lfs usually takes up most of my day!

They had a new skimmer in that they are going to beta test. So hopefully when I'm ready to buy the skimmer, they'll let me know how they did with the new one. It's around $200. I didn't get the brand, though.

After debating on using reinforced flex tubing (like the kind that doesn't pinch when bent) vs pvc, we decided what works for our stand's layout under the tank is just plain ole pvc. So we picked up some parts for that.

Picked up a large trash bin for my rodi reserve and future ato reserve. So hopefully next week I'll have pics of my new toys! We will work on plumbing as much as we can this week, so we'll just have to add the missing pieces next week when we get it, and hopefully do a trial run w/ tap water. Pics to come!

Picked up my Mag 18, big bucket of salt, and 1 of my bulkheads. Still waiting on my other 1" bulkhead for the overflow, plus that one way flapper thingy to prevent back-siphoning of the return. Hopefully we receive these last items this weekend so we can do the plumbing and finally fill up the tank w/ water!!

Pics for you picture whores....

DSC03726.jpg

DSC03732.jpg

The old overflow pipe on the left, replaced with my new overflow that's now inside the tank. The previous owner glued everything. We're just going to use plumbers tape, and since there's no pressure in the overflow, hopefully we won't have leaks.
DSC03725.jpg

For under the tank, we couldn't find a rounded connector, so to avoid the 90degree bends, we are using double 45degree bends instead to make our turns. This is the side of the tank that's not against the wall.
DSC03730.jpg

DSC03729.jpg

progress, WOOHOO!

i'[m wondering about that pump tho....
where'dya get it and what did it cost, if you dont mind me askn...

I got a good deal. Marinedepot.com has them on sale for $131 + $10 shipping. So, me being a loyal customer to my favorite lfs, I went to my lfs and showed them a printout of my online cart and asked if they could meet/beat it. Sure enough, they said they could order it and sell it to me for $131 (they also are a wholesaler or whatever to marinedepot, and they joked about complaining to them about their website offer...hehehe...but they're a great store, so I didn't mind giving them a chance to offer me a better deal...which they did because I saved on shipping). Originally, I think these sell for maybe $150 or $160.

The pump is made by Danner, and judging from some reefers here and online reviews as well as my lfs, this is one of the best for your buck.

*** I just checked marine depot, price went back up to $154.99

Last edited:
Thanks, cc....good idea. Would this help silence it:

DSC00051Small.jpg

It's what came w/ this tank (it's a used tank). I never quite figured out what it was for, but I think earlier responses to this thread said it might help silence the overflow.

Yes, that looks like it will work.
Since you are still early in the build, I would suggest you buy the few pieces of pvc you needed to make Durso's.

Hey wonton, why did you go with such a big pump? I think the one I got yesterday is the same brand, but the 9.5 version. is mine too small?

BTW your work looks great-- I'll be following your thread closely as I slowly (painfully) work on my own 125... :) good luck!

Back