wontonflip's 125g build

Glad I finished reading through the thread before posting,cause I was gonna say the same thing as Capt on the drains:D
Its good that your installing a check valve on the return,but I'd still drill a couple of siphon breaks on the return lines,just at the water surface.Double insurance,I've heard of check valves sticking.
Thats the same brand return pump that I'm running to,except I got the 12.
Tanked,the 9.5 will do fine on your 125.The water just wont go through your sump as fast.

Hey wonton, why did you go with such a big pump? I think the one I got yesterday is the same brand, but the 9.5 version. is mine too small?

Thanks, Tanked :)

Well, I've been bugging Yote for specs on his own 125 so I can see if I'm headed in the right direction. He's using a 1200gph, but then again, his sump is right below his tank. I went with an 1800gph because my sump is in the next room...so it's a much longer trip (plus a split) back to my tank. The farthest return spout has to travel 6-8 feet from the sump, plus of course a split for the first return. In the end, the strength of my return vs his might end up being around the same.

Yote's awesome when i'm being lazy and don't want to search through all the threads...I just ask him what he did with his in a PM! LOL

Ohh, kay, that makes sense. Think I'll stick with the 9.5, because my primary reason for having a fuge is to grow pods. Are you planning to have 2 separate drains from the tank, or combining them? What did you do, yote?

Yes, each of the overflows will have its own independent pipe. That way, if one clogs up, then I still have the other as a backup. Then the return will be a split.

Ohh, kay, that makes sense. Think I'll stick with the 9.5, because my primary reason for having a fuge is to grow pods. Are you planning to have 2 separate drains from the tank, or combining them? What did you do, yote?

I kept my drains seperated to,and for the same reason as Wonton.Plus it'll keep the drain noise down.
If either one of y'all get stuck,shoot me a PM and I'll PM you my phone number.I aint bashful.:D

Since the tank's predrilled, I don't have much choice....hehehe

For the intake, it's 1" and for the return, it's 3/4".

Hubby's currently back there working away on drilling the holes from under the tank to the sump room next door. He stopped by Lowes and Home Depot on the way home from work. He had a bag full of pvc connectors/bends...hehehe.

Plumbing is almost done (waiting on the 2nd 1" bulkhead for the 2nd overflow before completing it). Just shots from different angles. We're going to split the return right above the sump. We've been looking for a Y split instead of a T. can't seem to find one in Home Depot or Lowes, though, so we might end up using a T anyway.

The last one is taken from the sump room. RED is for the return, YELLOW is for the intake.

DSC03735.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

DSC03738.jpg

DSC03739.jpg

Thanks guys :) We picked up a 2nd bulkhead today (a used one since mine won't be in until tuesday, and I couldn't wait to finish the plumbing and do a test run.

If I keep a low bioload at first (1 clown, 1 banggai cardinal, and 1 firefish), how long can I get away with not using a skimmer? I might get a small tang or foxface after a month or 2. And I will actually have minimal lighting at first until I save up for my vho's. It should be ok, right? If it's just fish at first? I'm eager to move my fish out of the 45g, and move the fish in my 10g into my 45g.

Wow...that is one kick-a$$ set-up you have there...great job!
You should be ok for awhile without a skimmer, I know several people who dont run a skimmer at all, and their tanks have been set up for years. Of course, they only have fowlr tanks, so you should be ok.

You'd think that as much we like plumbing our tanks,that we'd all be plumbers:mrgreen:
Thats some good work Wonton.:D
And I think Smitty's right about the fish and skimmer.Just keep a close eye on your paramters.

Ok, so I finally got the foamboard....only to decide to use the roll of foam instead. We had to jack up the tank to slip it under. Using the foam strips made it easier because it was thinner. The length of the tank is now completely even...I'm just a touch annoyed that width-wise (front to back) is a pitch uneven...and when I say a pitch, I mean the bubble is completely within the center lines, but one side is touching the line. I'm considering putting another layer of foam in the back to hopefully even it out. I'm going to wait and see how the levels even out once we fill it up with water.

So, stay tuned! We will fill it up w/ tap tonight and run it w/ the sump. I'll take pics/videos. I'm extremely excited....and this is just w/ tap water!!

YAY! Success :) We've filled up the tank w/ water and did a trial run. Found a couple of leaks in a couple places that we didn't seal properly (of course the hubby says "Um, we have a leak" which of course nearly gave me a heartattack because I thought he meant a leak in the tank!! Who cares about the pvc?? That's repairable...but the tank?? More costly.)

Anyway, only one overflow is extremely loud (it's the one closer to the wall leading to the sump room because it's pulling water extremely fast since it only has to travel straight down a couple of feet, while the other one has to go 6 feet over, and 2 feet down. We ran out of 90degree bends to make a pvc durso, so we used this old thing that came w/ the old tank....the screen and the bulb. And voila!! Sound was pretty much gone. I took videos :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n_SLGFaooM"]YouTube - 125 Gallon Tank...Trial Run[/ame]

nice video wonton! Than tank setup is seriously so sweet. I see all kinds of plumbing ideas i would do differently now if i could!

WOW...that is loud. I could never handle that amount of noise. Raise your drain lines. It looks like the difference in water levels between your tank and the inside of the overflow is about 12" or more. The water dropping that far will make lots of noise. On my tank, the water level in the overflows is only about 2"-3" lower than the water level in the tank.

I couldn't tell on your sump, but does the drain pipe dump out underwater? It should...and that will help with the noise too.

Here's my overflow. You can see the water level in the overflow compared to the level inside the tank.
overflow_10-09.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm quite excited about this!! We're fixing up leaks in the plumbing (as expected). We didn't do tight seals for this trial run so we can tweak before putting a tighter fit using plumber's tape. We only glued certain joints due to the high pressure of the return.

It is pretty loud...but the noise significantly dropped once we added the bulby thingy. It softened to a slight trickle. The overflow furthest away from the sump isn't noisy at all since it travels further. I'm looking into doing a durso standpipe, but that'll be later.

In the sump room, we definitely plan on extending the pipe to drop lower into the sump. We just wanted to test the overflow/return cycle to make sure everything was working well. That's not even the final configuration nor the final container we're using. We will get a bigger rubbermaid so we can put a container inside it to catch the intake water, then have it overflow into the main tub. Some of the dirty water will be pumped up to a fuge w/ a small maxijet in that sump room, which in turn will have a pipe overflowing out to the main tank so pods can get in. Quite an undertaking! But I guess that's what I'm in this hobby for -- to really make a system that works for us :) Plus it keeps the hubby busy building me stuff and away from his computer (he's a computer geek).

According to that head loss calculator that rcpilot posted in another post, after all the bends and stuff, we end up with a flowrate of just over 800gph. Of course, the calculation might not be so accurate, because one of the returns has a shorter distance to travel. But I'm losing quite a bit. I'm going to try to raise the sump a foot to just get a little more. I played with the calculator, and even if I put it right under the tank, I'd still get 1000 gph. So I guess worrying about its output might not be worth it.

Maybe I'm obsessing too much :) I feel like Tim from that show Home Improvement..."More power! Argh! Argh! Argh!"

Back