125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Workshop

Re: 125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Worksop

and by pics i mean of the spot you bored out and what you used and what did you do to restrict hhe water intake?

Looks great so far I like the sump in the basement thats actually my plan when I get my stuff around.

Looks great so far, makes me so anxious to get done with college and buy a house! I so long to have an in-basement sump. I was just wondering about your CSS mods a bit more, really interested there. Also What kind of floor do you have your tank on? Any modifications required to keep a 125 on it? I'm going to be renting a house next semester and want to upgrade to a 125 during the move, but dont know if a regular house floor will hold or not? Keep us updated, this build looks awesome!

hotimport i have had my 180 on 3 different "regular household floors" and sarah has her 240 on just a regular floor. UPGRADE!

Red you didnt have to shore up your floors? thats been one of my biggest fears when I get the new house to put new tank in is that I was going to have to pour concrete pad<dirt basement> and do the whole floor jack and beam bit.

sarah has her 240 on just a regular floor. UPGRADE!

Yeah but I live in Arizona. We don't have basements or crawl spaces here. My house is on a concrete slab on the ground. It's probably different where other people live.

yep 2 out of my 3 spots have been on raised floors. done just fine. figured unless it was on a second story yours would be where it was being as its AZ

Sounds like a plan Ill just have to keep an eye on it when I get it set up. If it sags floorjacks it is.

The CSS mod I did will not stop the flooding. I'm not sure what causes them, but it definitely isn't the pump. I replaced the stock pump with a Gen-X 2400 about 6 months ago and had 2 floods with it since. All I did to the pump was drill out the air intake nipple. It's still there, but I bored it out more. To restrict the input I got a small 1" piece of clear tubing. Not sure what diameter, but it's a loose fit in the front of the venturi. I used the little plastic ring thingy that you would get with a flex tubing connector to keep it in place. Hard to explain...I'll take a pic of it when I get home. It blows away a stock skimmer. I just bought a Octopus NW 200 for the 125. The CSS 125 would never handle it.

The floor is 2x10 spanning 13' in the tank room. 3/4" ply, 1/8" lauan, then oak parquet flooring. The joists run parallel with the tank. The tank is about 8" from an outside wall. Even tho I don't think I needed it, I did use a 4x4 and house jacks under the tank.

I moved everything yesterday into the 125. What a day. Started 9 AM and finished 12:30 AM. I'll post pics later.

I still have a bunch of odds and ends to tie up, but all the major work is done...for now.

fts2_2-08.jpg

lighting1_2-08.jpg

lighting2_2-08.jpg

lighting3_2-08.jpg

Left side
fts-left1_2-08.jpg

fts-left2_2-08.jpg

Right side
fts-right1_2-08.jpg

fts-right2_2-08.jpg

Looks great, awesome DIY i like all the plumbing and the way everything has been set up...and the tank looks amazing!!!

thats awesome. It's hard to believe thats a new setup. I really like the monti cap in the center.

Thanks all for the kind words. It was/is alot of work, but I enjoyed it.

I only have a few fish...bristletooth tang, coral beauty, yellow watchman, pair of mated clarkii clowns and I had a female square spot anthias, but I don't know what happened to it. It was in the 75 when I moved it, but when I moved everything from the 75 to the 125 it was MIA. They got moved 3 times in the last week and they are still a little freaked out. They went from the 75 into a tote to hold them over till I relocated the 75, then back into the 75 and now from the 75 into the 125.

The only thing really new is the tank, sump and skimmer. Some of the live rock and mushrooms are close to 20 yrs old. When I got the cap in the middle, it was about the size of my palm. Now it's over 16" across.

Back