125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Workshop

Re: 125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Worksop

I'm having issues with microbubbles in the sump. I tried a 100 micron filter sock but that did nothing. I think I may have to wait it out and hope when all the new pvc gets "broken in" they will calm down.

bubbles1_2-08.jpg

The skimmer makes the sump look smaller than a 55.
skimmer3_2-08.jpg

skimmer2_2-08.jpg

buy a piece of 3" pvc or any size to stand up in sump but drill holes in bottom for water to flow out of but bubble should stay inside tube, seen this done on diy forum.

sure did, looks good. Don't look like any micro bubbles escape at all.

you gonna buy one of those new pinwheel impellars for that octopus skimmer, premium aquatics should have them online any day now, should pull more air and chop bubbles up smaller.

I'm not going to buy 1 unless I see some #'s showing a much better air draw and less wattage than I'm pulling now with the mods I did.

It's been a while since I updated this thread. Everything has been running smooth. I have 2 projects to post. The 1st is done, the 2nd I'm still working on.

This is a Ranco 2 stage temp controller. You can buy them prewired or DIY. I paid $72 for a brand new unwired unit, while a prewired unit directly from the manufacturer is $125. TFP sells a 1 stage controller for $100. The unwired version comes with good instruction on how to wire it.

ranco_1.jpg

I took the top off and 1st started to connect the power wire.
ranco_2.jpg

ranco_3.jpg

Next are the wires for stage 1.
ranco_4.jpg

Then I shoved in the wires for stage 2. It started getting a little tight in there.
ranco_5.jpg

Everything all tied together.
ranco_6.jpg

And finally the finished unit. I can plug 2 heaters and 2 fans into it. I have it set so if the temp falls below 78 the heaters kick on and if the temp goes over 81 the fans kick on.
ranco_7.jpg

i have mine set up for more stability, mine is set at 82 and if it falls to 81 then the heater kicks on, so mine never budges from 82

Interesting. How exactly did you do that since each setpoint has 2 temps you need to set. For example if you set the heater to come on at 81, what temp does it shut off? 82? If the fan is set to come on at 82, at what temp does it turn off? 81? Then the heater kicks back on? Sounds like an endless loop of on/off.

i only have the one stage so it wasnt hard for me, i just have the heater kick on at 81 and shut off at 82

I'm not going to say your wrong....yet. ;) But keep in mind, I live in PA and it's like -10 and snowing out. Probably not a good time to cut a hole in my roof. ;)

Gonna use you halides over top and spot light your corals?:mrgreen:

Hadnt thought about those duel stage temp controllers.And its cheaper than an RK2 controller.

capt i am extremely jealous! I love the idea. I have done a lot of reading about it on RC. Shhhh dont tell anyone.

or make your own new refleters
We have a winner! :bounce:

This is the layout. I printed it on a regular piece of paper then took it to Staples and had them blow it up 281%. This will give me the exact specs for a Lumenarc Mini. The SunTunnel cost $30 and will make 1 reflector. A new Lumenarc is $115.

layout.jpg

Back