2009 Nano Build Contest!

Me to. I have thought of little else. All the issues I have been having and my mind tells me if we buy this or pay that then I will have to wait for ______ on the 10 gal build. My wife is sick of hearing about it and the tank isnt even wet yet.

Can the tank be freshwater? I have started a freshwater nano already and have some really nice ideas for the contest if it is allowed.

Alright. It is to late ot start now plus I don't have the money.

Make sure you guys have very good filtration. And don't have your lights on too long.

I think it would be awesome. but NO I have enough and no time right now for another. Good luck everyone, I'm excited to see the turn out.

Maybe I can get in on this? I've been wanting to break down my 10g frag tank and go bare bottom with it.

If I dump the refugium sand and completely drain the tank. Dump all water. Suck all the sand out. Put all the frags and corals in my display tank. Clean and dry the 10g tank and refugium.

Can I get on on this by doing that?

I'd still have to set it all up again and put new live sand in the refugium to get it cycled. As far as I know, the rules stated you could put corals from the display into the tank as long as the tank and pumps were dry on the day of the build.

I'm assuming each tank will have to be documented like a build thread. Would we do that in the tank showcase forum? Does each person start their own thread? Nano Build Contest - Rcpilot Or is everybody going to just throw it all into one big thread? Will there be a special forum just for this nano contest?

How are we going to keep track of each person build? Where do we post them?

Can I do it if I drain and empty my current 10g tank and start over?

I don't see anything in the rules which would keep you from doing that, Rc. I guess Alexander will have to give his stamp of approval, though.

as long as your tank is dry at the beginning should be ok. Remember your total water volume cant be more then 20 gal (10 tank + 10 fuge/sump) As far as the posting I have been wondering about that also. I am happy to see you involved in this rc should be lots of fun.

ya mine to. I think we have a similar setup. The only real difference is you have stuff to put in the tank. I am going to have to buy everything. Will be fun comparing at least for me.

Wow!! I think i'm going to enter :) my younger sister has been wanting to start with the corals, and my 10g nano is just some small buttons... this is a great time to start!

sign us up! :D

If I dump the refugium sand and completely drain the tank. Dump all water. Suck all the sand out. Put all the frags and corals in my display tank. Clean and dry the 10g tank and refugium.

Can I get on on this by doing that?

I'm assuming each tank will have to be documented like a build thread. Would we do that in the tank showcase forum? Does each person start their own thread? Nano Build Contest - Rcpilot Or is everybody going to just throw it all into one big thread? Will there be a special forum just for this nano contest?

How are we going to keep track of each person build? Where do we post them?

Can I do it if I drain and empty my current 10g tank and start over?

RC this would definitely be acceptable. You are starting with a completely dry setup and moving your things that need to stay alive to your DT. I would love to have you join too.

To answer your question we will all have individual contest build threads. here is the exact info about what we will do. they will all be posted here in the contest forum.

ENTRY THREAD INFORMATION
Your entry thread is where all the information, photos, and updates for your nano reef will be posted. When you are ready to enter the contest, please create a new topic in the appropriate area of this contest forum. The topic title should be: “[Contest] Your Username. Your first post must contain your required entry photographs!

Updates to the progress of your nano reef must be posted at a minimum of once per month, and include at least 3 photos. Entries with missing months of updates will be disqualified for final voting. At the end of the contest, all entrants will be asked to make a final post summarizing the progress their nano reef has made.

Remember to keep your entries as clear and organized as possible.

oh and I wanted to clarify one more rule that has come up offline. If anyone is going to get so technical as to setup a 10 gallon sump and meet your maximum size volume for the contest you will be allowed ONE additional piece of equipment of your choice but not more. ex: skimmer, reactors etc.The point of the contest is to make everything a fair playing ground for everyone with water volume, however I know with some setups you may be setting up a sump because you need one for a certain piece of equipment. So you may run that one additional piece of equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I got confused on that last one. You are saying you can have a 10 gal sump and a additional canister filter? Most canisters have 3 to 5 gallons in them. I am not setting up a sump but am gonna do a hob fuge. So thats 3 gallons I think. That would leave me 7 gallons to play with if I wanted to do a canister (which I dont think I am) Or does the hob fuge hit the one additional rule?

Canisters wont be allowed with the use of a sump since canisters do increase total volume.Alexander just clarified that to me and asked me to edit out the canister filters:D

ok cool. I thought I was going loopy then I realized I am already there then I didnt know what to think.

Ted you are completely welcome to run your refiguim and canister. It pots you still below your 10gal limit on additional water capacity.

Back