200gal built in wall

I'd be much more worried about the ammonia. have you changed something around-- mixed up sand or moved rocks or what? you shouldn't have ammonia.

you calcium is low but not low enough to require dosing...most people on here don't dose anything in there tanks. Your don't have enough coral in your tanks to worry about it.
I have 62 frags all together in my tank, I have 4 sps in my tank. I bought these star polyps last week and they ended up dying. I need a curing tank for all my new frags instead of going in my tank right away. How do you make a quantine tank?

Ok I officially started my blackout last night. I guess I am supose to do this for 3 full days. Does anyone know about this black-out? I am also in the process of making an algae scrubber. My girl was mad last night because I am doing the blackout, she wanted to watch the tank. I told her the kids cant see in now, lol.

flip777-albums-200gal-build-picture832-corner-my-tank.jpg

This is with all lights on

flip777-albums-200gal-build-picture831-taken-12-21-2010.jpg

This is with just moons on

How much water movement should I have for 200gal.

You want about 10x the volume of the tank...so 2000 gph. During the blackout, you can also start removing the algae by hand.

You still shouldn't have to dose calcium if you only have 4 SPS frags. Try to simplify your process. If your tank doesn't need it, don't mess with it.

You stated earlier that you have a couple of large pumps for water movement. PRC and I both recommended getting several smaller powerheads so they will reach those algae covered areas better. In a tank that size, you should have at least 8 powerheads, IMO.

I have 2600 gallons of flow with just powerheads. How do you tell if its too much? I know you want the corals to flow with the water and not bent over

It's too much when it's causing a sandstorm in your tank.

I don't think you have too much flow -- you only have just over 10x the volume of your tank. Some people have 100x the volume of their tank. You are just using too few large pumps to achieve it. You need many smaller powerheads located throughout the tank.

I have 2 small overflows and the pump is 1400 gal per hour. I am thinking about doing a closed loop. But not sure how to do it because my tank is glass and not acrylic

Pass on the closed loop. It's too complicated and difficult with a tank that is already set up. You would need to drill the tank for it, and lots of people that have them don't like them.

Like I have said multiple times already, you need a lot of powerheads. Aim for 8 powerheads in a 200 gallon tank.

I don't know how many more ways I can say that. Your flow is way too concentrated -- you only have a large return pump providing your flow. You need many small powerheads in different locations in the tank, pointed in different areas.

Please go back and read what I have said before. I've probably said this same thing 4 or 5 times now in the last few pages of this thread. I don't know what else I can say to get you to understand.

BUY POWERHEADS -- YOU NEED ABOUT 8 OF THEM. PUT THEM IN TANK FOR FLOW. PLACE THEM ALONG THE BACK GLASS AND SIDES OF TANK.

I'm sorry, I'm just getting supremely frustrated because I'm saying the same thing over and over and over and over again, and you are not even reading it.

Pass on the closed loop. It's too complicated and difficult with a tank that is already set up. You would need to drill the tank for it, and lots of people that have them don't like them.

Like I have said multiple times already, you need a lot of powerheads. Aim for 8 powerheads in a 200 gallon tank.

I don't know how many more ways I can say that. Your flow is way too concentrated -- you only have a large return pump providing your flow. You need many small powerheads in different locations in the tank, pointed in different areas.

Please go back and read what I have said before. I've probably said this same thing 4 or 5 times now in the last few pages of this thread. I don't know what else I can say to get you to understand.

BUY POWERHEADS -- YOU NEED ABOUT 8 OF THEM. PUT THEM IN TANK FOR FLOW. PLACE THEM ALONG THE BACK GLASS AND SIDES OF TANK.

I'm sorry, I'm just getting supremely frustrated because I'm saying the same thing over and over and over and over again, and you are not even reading it.
I will try to get 4 600gph powerheads if thats to much let me know. I am also in the process of lowering my lights, and making the algae scrubber. Sorry to aggervate you. Wont hear from anymore

No, I blew my cool. I'm sorry. Four 600 gph powerheads will be good. MaxiJets are good, and inexpensive. You could double that amount and be fine (I use 4 powerheads in my 90 gallon). You think it's too much flow, but look at the waves in the ocean, crashing against the reef. Four powerheads in a 200 gallon tank is not a lot at all.

I had 1200 gph of flow in my 10 gallon nano tank. That's as much as you have right now in your 200 gallon tank.

Algae thrives in tanks that don't have enough flow. Your tank is a good example of that.

Last edited:
Sorry to aggervate you. Wont hear from anymore

Don't let it get to you. She just wants to help you out and she's concerned that you're not paying attention...she's only concerned about your livestock. So don't get upset about it. This is a very informal forum. We talk, we argue, kinda like a typical family. And we want to help people out.. Believe me when I tell you, you'll find Biff one of your biggest fans if you're doing the right things, if you're not she's going to let you know. And you've gotta appreciate that kind of candidness. She's not going to sugarcoat it...but she's gonna give you the info you need to be successful in the hobby.

So don't worry about it, and get back to work on the tank. :D

Alright instead of all my lights being 14" above my tank they are now setting 4" above my tank. Now will my halides fry my coral? I have 3 175wt halides in a row. My 2 outside bulbs are 14k and my middle bulb is 20k

I am also almost done with my algae scrubber but I need to know where can I get the screen. The other question is do I hook it up to my main pump, skimmer pump, or my return line.

Alright instead of all my lights being 14" above my tank they are now setting 4" above my tank. Now will my halides fry my coral? I have 3 175wt halides in a row. My 2 outside bulbs are 14k and my middle bulb is 20k

No..They won't fry your corals..in fact your asking alot of those 175's to get all the way to the bottom of the tank..that's why I upgraded to the 250's and 400w..

In regard to the screen, you get it from Michael's Arts and Crafts store..It's called needle point canvas. It's white and has tiny holes in it...They come in different sizes.. get (2) 8x11 (approx) sized screens. They should cost less than $1.00 for each...I think around .59

Once you get them, take a sawzall blade or a hole saw drill bit and scuff them up REAL good...when you think you've scuffed enough, scuff a little more..

Then you need the lights...2700K CFL Bulbs from Home Depot work perfectly. You'll need at least 4. They stay on 18 hrs a day..6 hrs off. You also need something to hold the bulbs, get the cheap worklight reflectors...

You need to install the screen on the return line coming down from the display tank..make it so the screen is right at the edge of the water level. If you put it too high it can get noisy from the splashing.

Last edited:
I am also almost done with my algae scrubber but I need to know where can I get the screen. The other question is do I hook it up to my main pump, skimmer pump, or my return line.

You should be able to find the screen in the crafts section of Wal-Mart. I got mine there, just haven't had time to build it. Here's a picture where I'm putting mine.

Attachments

• refugium 35 gallon.jpg
    refugium 35 gallon.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 221
No..They won't fry your corals..in fact your asking alot of those 175's to get all the way to the bottom of the tank..that's why I upgraded to the 250's and 400w..

In regard to the screen, you get it from Michael's Arts and Crafts store..It's called needle point canvas. It's white and has tiny holes in it...They come in different sizes.. get (2) 8x11 (approx) sized screens. They should cost less than $1.00 for each...I think around .59

Once you get them, take a sawzall blade or a hole saw drill bit and scuff them up REAL good...when you think you've scuffed enough, scuff a little more..

Then you need the lights...2700K CFL Bulbs from Home Depot work perfectly. You'll need at least 4. They stay on 18 hrs a day..6 hrs off. You also need something to hold the bulbs, get the cheap worklight reflectors...

You need to install the screen on the return line coming down from the display tank..make it so the screen is right at the edge of the water level. If you put it too high it can get noisy from the splashing.
I will be selling these lights at the first of the year. I am installing 2 solor domes and 1 400 wt halide and I am going to led lighting as well. Thanks for everything you all have been helpful

Back