aftershock's 40 gallon breeder

Sorry to break it to you, but those are not zoas. Those are majano anemones -- big pests. Kill them ASAP. Or they will kill anything they touch, like real corals that you try to add later on. They also reproduce and spread like crazy, which is why they are such a horrible pest to have. They took over my whole 240 gallon tank. And I only started with one of them. I ended up having to boil 600 lbs of live rock just to kill them all. Seriously. Kill them now.

And the Fish Need It lights can be hung very easily if you'd prefer to do that instead of having them on legs.

That is about the ugliest website I've seen in years. (fishneedit.com) I like the fixture if they had a 4 ft. 6 bulb I might go for it. You may want to top off your tank, that filter is going to splash all over your fixture. I have one of those on my QT, salt creep all over the back of the tank.

Damn Nick....the 40 looks much better in your possession than when I was raising my breeding pair of Convict Cichlids lol. If you're free tmrw...i'm coming over..and you can help me build a shelf and set up my 10G lol.

crap crap crap. i paid a very premium price on that rock and thought i got a great deal when i saw how much "life" it had on it. between the kenya tree, the apaista, and now this crap, ugh... the green ones arent even zoas? i guess i'm taking this out and scrubbing it clean. i really hope i dont have to waste my money and boil it.

puttycat: i tihnk all of their fixtures are modular, like you can link 3 of their 2 bulb fixtures to make 6 bulb fixture. just to let you guys know, i sent fishneedit.com an email and recieved a reply saying to send a picture of the bulb showing the temp and they would send the correct bulb free. i must applaud their customer service, especially for an online company.

Don't boil your rocks. Just zap the pests with Aiptasia X. Both aiptasia and majanos are very common hitch hikers. Any live rock you buy is going to have bad hitch hikers on it. That's the price you pay when you buy live rock. That doesn't have any bearing on whether the live rock is good quality or not. Chill out and take it easy!! :lol:

havent had time to post in a while. some more rock has been added. shouldve remembered to snap a full tank shop but will do so later. added a small clean up crew as one of the rocks is growing hair algae. got 3 cerith and 2 astrea snails. found some more neat hitch hikers. its amazing waht starts crawling around once the lights turn off. saw a couple of bristle worms, and small white worms.

also had this finger looking thing that poked out of a hole. it looked about the thickness of a pencil, and completely smooth. when fully extended, small whisps came out of the head like a tube worm. when lights was shined on it, it curled back in on itslef into the hole. like its head crawled back into its body.

also saw this guy this morning that made me post again.
232323232%7Ffp633%3B2%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329846%3B5%3B234%3Bnu0mrj

its a crab just visible in the hole to the left and underneath the cerith snail. the guy is about the size of my thumbnail, hairless, with a mottled reddish color. its shape wasnt oblong so its not an acropora crab. i'm thinking a gorilla crab.

well, happy fathers day

thanks yote. guess i'll just keep it there. figure theres no point in moving it til i notice it harm something.

cycle is almost over and thinking about the stocking list. as for fish, here's my starting idea:

pair of clownfish
cherub angel
tailspot blenny
goby/darfish/basslet
mandarin??
wrasse??

my girlfriend wnats me to fill my tank with the cast of nemo and while i have been able to dissuade her, she still insists on the clownfish.

i like fish that stay on or among the rock work, but cant decide on a fish. something interesting. i like the firefish, but feel they are kind of too normal. royal grammas are nice, but aggressive. thinking about a greenbanded goby. i like the court jester goby, but i hear those are extremely hard to keep. anyone got some advice?

The clowns will be fine
50/50 shot that the angel will take a likin to coral munchin.
I wouldnt try a tail-spot in a 40.It'd be to hard to keep enough live food in the sand for em IMO.
A mandrine will be fine as long as you can find one thats already taking frozen foods.
A small fairy or carpenter wrasse should work fine.

A tailspot blenny needs live food Yote?I had one for years,eats whatever the other fish eats.Feed it omnivore food-both algae and seafood.

Many of the flasher and fairy wrasse are suited for that size tank.Careful,they are jumpers.McCoskers,Carpenters,Long fin to name a few.

sorry i haven't posted much lately. i've started work and have spent my free time visiting every pet store along the route between my house and the labs. either way, here are some pics:

FTS
232323232%7Ffp63248%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A5862%3A534%3Bnu0mrj

acan frag
232323232%7Ffp63259%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A5862%3A634%3Bnu0mrj

xenias
232323232%7Ffp63387%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A5862%3A734%3Bnu0mrj

GSP
232323232%7Ffp6338%3B%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A5862%3A834%3Bnu0mrj

pink-spotted watchman
232323232%7Ffp63258%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A5862%3A934%3Bnu0mrj

The fish was about a weeks ago, and the coral over the weekend. the xenia came on the piece of live rock i bought. i didnt want that piece since it had some hair algae growing on it, but when i turned it around and saw like 5 bunches of polyps i picked it up anyway. i also got a blue gudgeon dartfish that day but the next day i foudn it had gone carpet surfing over night. i have egg crate covering the tank so this guy got pretty lucky. plus he had ended up about 6 feet from the tank.

Beautiful tank. I have a green banded goby and love the guy but honestly wouldn't suggest one for a tank bigger than mine (29G). They are small, I mean really small. No bigger than a guppy if you get bored and are interested I put pics in my thread so you can see what I'm talking about. I would have a feeling in a 40G you would pretty much never see them.

thanks guys. probably going to pick up a turbo. so far my CUC is 2 astreas, 3 ceriths, and 2 nassarius snails. need to pick up more. anyone have experience with bumblebee snails? they just colorful nassarius snails?

wasnt sure about the turbo as i didnt want it to bulldoze crap, but i looked at my other options and i guess it is the best bet. i want to stay away from crabs.

i posted another thread too, but anyone have experience with cucumbers?

Back