d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

That red crab is awesome!

So if you were to throw a watchman goby in there, would it pair up with a pistol shrimp, or does it not work that way?
I've heard they might pair up but it's not your typical pistol shrimp you usually see paired with a goby.

Wow, just saw the video...AMAZING. I'm getting soooo much closer to breaking down and buying that new camera!
Thanks!

awesome build ... congrats
Thank you

Looks great Dennis.
So, have you set up the couch and beer dispenser in your tank room yet? :)
haha, no sir. But we did finally get a dining room table and Flor tiles. ;)
I also gave the green light to have my cabinet guy to start designing the surrounding floor to ceiling cabinetry, which will completely transform the room/tank.

Damn, I need to check the tank showcases more often. Very nice Dennis.

How many radions are you running now? Still on Jonathon's schedule?

BTW, is that a pic of Wally on the Photobucket home page?

Fast, there are 4 radions over the display tank.
Still running jon's graph, but i've started ramping up the intensity. And today I changed his midday point to run at the highest intensity for a few hours rather than start coming back down as soon as it reached it's highest point. His graph had a sharp point at midday and now mine has a flat top at midday.
Also note that the Mangroves are all sprouted and growing nicely.

8174172154_b27c2b2a86_o.jpg

8174172052_e0ceb956f8_o.jpg

8174171952_9bb8fa764d_o.jpg

Hey d2mini, I have never been one to skimp on aquarium stuff, I never want to by the cheap stuff just to upgrade later. I want to get an aquarium controller for my tank. I know you are using the proflux controller and I think your last tank had the Digital Aquatics one. Can you give us a little tour of what you are using the controller for, if you would recommend the proflux or if it is overkill etc. Thanks!

O my god that is awesome
Thanks!

Dang...very nice filter room...Wish I had that kind of space...
Thanks! I have to admit it's so nice not having to shove everything under my stand. Not only can everything be bigger, it's just so much easier to work on.

Dang! Look at dem mangroves!
heh heh, yeah it took a while but they all started sprouting all of a sudden. :D

Hey d2mini, I have never been one to skimp on aquarium stuff, I never want to by the cheap stuff just to upgrade later. I want to get an aquarium controller for my tank. I know you are using the proflux controller and I think your last tank had the Digital Aquatics one. Can you give us a little tour of what you are using the controller for, if you would recommend the proflux or if it is overkill etc. Thanks!
First let me preface this with the fact that no controller seems to have decent setup instructions. Profilux actually does have some halfway decent written manuals, but they tend to be good for basic setup and not much more. Or they do a lot of explaining of what the product CAN do but not HOW to do it. So as with pretty much any other controller, this has been a thorn in my side, and I still don't have it doing everything I want it to do because it takes so freakin long to deal with doing the research, asking questions on their support forums, etc. This is what happens when you have the same engineers who designed the product trying to write manuals. Their saving grace is their support. They have their international support forum, they have a new north american support forum, and their retailers/distributors have been very helpful as well. There's no programming language to learn, it's just confusing knowing which boxes to check, which options to choose, etc.

That said... the profilux is pretty awesome and I wouldn't go back. Super high build quality first of all. The main computer is nearly indestructible and they have pretty much zero units sent back for repair, unlike neptune. And if anything ever does break, the whole system is user fixable so they can just send you a part which means much less down time. Same with upgrades. If they upgrade the computer they can just send you a new board or whatever. The idea with Profilux is that it's pretty much the last controller you'll need to purchase, which helps justify the extra cost.

The capabilities are pretty much endless. I've only just scratched the surface of what it can do. It's running my heaters, it's measuring salinity/ph/temp, it's running my auto water change multiple times per day, it's running my ATO using optical level sensors in the sump, it controls the system during feeding time shutting down the pump & skimmer and automatically comes back on, and most recently i hooked up the Vortech module so it's controlling my Vortechs which gives me even more control over them. I don't need it to control my lighting since I have the Radions which run their own software, but i hear there is a module in the works. But they will give you basic control over any lighting and full control of their new LED lights. They are also working on their iphone app. Since the whole setup is in my garage, the next thing I want to get is the color remote touch screen that I can mount somewhere inside near the tank and have full control. You also have full control over all the programming from their PC software. I have the profilux hardwired to my router but you can also hook it up wirelessly with a wireless bridge.

There's some threads in the GHL forum on RC that talk more about all the above and comparing it to other systems.

Here's the latest design from my cabinet builder. We've been going back and forth on design. We had a few challenges with the coffered ceiling and a/c vent that sits right above the tank, not to mention the narrow doorway to the left and the funky 45 degree angled wall to the right. But I think we've pretty much got it. There are 4 doors under the tank. The middle two will give me access to the equipment underneath and the two on the ends will have slide out drawers/trays behind them. Originally had 3 drawers down each side but my wife thought it was too busy. I'm still undecided on that.
Here's a 3D rendering and a photo of the room that I had laying around.

8178632974_31c9b66597_o.jpg

7981344893_978ff7ff74_o.jpg

Fast, there are 4 radions over the display tank.
Still running jon's graph, but i've started ramping up the intensity. And today I changed his midday point to run at the highest intensity for a few hours rather than start coming back down as soon as it reached it's highest point. His graph had a sharp point at midday and now mine has a flat top at midday.

I had to do the same thing, there were way too many holes in it for me.

Back