Dr Marco's 125 experiment

no, you need a Blue or Queen angel after the Sohal to really be set. That way, you can still have Leathers and Mushrooms in your tank. Your Koran is Pomacanthus and the other angels I mentioned are Holocanthus. They will not fight, mine don't. Go with the queen

-Doc

we shall see. as you know, I really really want the french angelfish. don't you think its doable since it will be the last angelfish to be established to the tank?

yes. you always have a better chance with a Juvi as they are not as aggressive nor territorial as adults are. Once it believes it is the bottom rung of the social ladder in your tank, it will play nice with the others, even as an adult. Even though it will outgrow other members of the tank. I say do it

-Doc

So, I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my 125. I know that would mean losing my membership in the Big Tank Club, but it might be worth it. I have really been neglecting it lately. I didn't realize how much time it would take to maticulously care for more than one tank. It is really time consuming and I am really busy.

If I did, I would move my sump upstairs to the 90 and toss in a few more pounds of live rock and have my LFS hold the rest until I was ready to move it into my new tank. I have a few really big hunks that are 10 lbs or bigger that I want to keep. I would sell the coral, lights, tank and stand on craigslist for cheap.

I would then start measuring and building my stand for my dream tank, a 600 gallon acryllic touch tank for two sharks and a blue spotted ray.

The only thing keeping me from doing it is my Sohal tang and two angels. man I love those fish. It looks OK still, but I just don't know what to do with it. I am feeling meloncholy about it. HMPF. Any ideas?

-Doc

I'd hate to see you lose such a pretty tank, but I do know what you mean on matinance. Thats the reason I sold my 125 fresh instead of turning it into salt.

yeah, except that my 125 is not so pretty now. It is kinda "fugly". It needs a lot of work and money. It is the time factor that has me thinking tho. I would need to put in about 40 more pounds of live rock, and about $500 worth of various leathers and mushrooms to make it look good....oh yeah, and actually do a water change. that might help to get rid of the cyano.

-Doc

I since some loss of directiion Doc. a 600 with two sharks will be a lot more work than what you have. your big fish you have are really beautiful and your system is very nice. I use to have multible tanks going at one time and decided to have only one tank to cut down on the time it takes to maintain one properly. I have also incorporated as much help in the form of equipment as I could justify in order to cut down on the work chores. Hang in there and really think of your direction, but, what ever it is, do what you want to do to get to the system you will be able to enjoy for the long haul. good luck.

well, I measured the room and it is big enough to comfortably fit a 10ft by 3 foot tall and 3 feet wide, which is 670 gallons or so. That should fit my bonnethead, brownbanded bamboo, smooth hound, and blue spotted ray. Now then, I ran into a problem. I do not have a walk out basement nor do I have windows that are wide enough to put a tank that size in my house easily. I am limited to what I can squeeze down the stairs. that kinda sucks. Maybe I should stick with the 125 after all

-Doc

unless anyone knows of a way to build a tank that can be easily taken down and moved in pieces...legos anyone?

-Doc

loss of direction? you could say that. I do want to have more than one tank to have different looks of the ocean. I have always wanted predators - sharks. that is why I got into the hobby. Time is an issue for now as is money. hmmmm. Guess I answered my own whinings. I will stick with the 125 and make the time I need to get it looking better

-Doc

I think you have a great system with the big fish and the system allows you to add some stuff/corals to enhance the system. whatever you decide im sure you will do well. good luck and Im sure all of us will monitor your direction.

John, I always appreciate your input and feedback. I am hoping for more feedback about my other tank build thread. WHen you get a chance of course

-Doc

Ever thought of installing a garage door in your basement?That would give you enough room to get the size tank you want in.And there not that expensive.

I am going to stick with the 125 for now. If I stay where I am for more than 3 years, I will upgrade to something much bigger. I just don't have any way to get a tank the size I want in there. I have the space, but no way to get it in unless I want to cut out a wall in the back or something. I will just have to be patient until I have a walk-out basement

-Doc

On site construction!

I here ya, doc If i had the room i woulda went bigger myself,
In wall will be my next build / with a fish room to boot,

I have thought about that as well. I actually found plans for a 1,000 in the wall with a pump room behind. most of the tank was behind the wall and the front as flush with the wall. pretty cool.

-Doc

Were thinking about building a den(if we can turn lose the funds).If we do,I'll have to put in at least a 125 in the wall.
A couple more shut downs before we can even get serious about that though.

Back