It's official... Kodadad's 125 Starphire Upgrade

I was initially looking at vho's running on a icecap 660... but locally there is a lot of hype for the reefbrite LEDs.

They are impressive... but $300 each and I would want 3 minimum...

I had thought of getting one now and just adding on to it but I really hate the look of not enough atinic....

I am leaning towards the either t5's or the vhos on the icecap 660
It seems to be the most cost effective... of those the t5s give you the best bulb selection and the vho has a little more power.

I'm by no means a lighting expert so take this with a grain of salt ... but, most of your PAR will be coming from the MH so I'd go with the T5s just for the variety of bulbs you'll be able to chose from.

I am getting soooo impatient waiting for this tank.

It was supposed to ship last Friday or at the latest this Tuesday. (Monday was a holiday up here)

Only to find out today it STILL HASN'T SHIPPED!!!

Here is why....

One of the local reefers received a tank that was shipped to him about a month ago... (from another supplier) when it arrived it was chipped badly in the corner of the tank. He is still fighting to get his money back....

So because of this I thought a logical question was to find out if my tank would be insured in case of damage..... apparently they have been waiting this long to find out from the shipping company... #$*&#$*&

They now assure me it will leave either Monday or Wednesday next week.

A few other developments... I bought my sand today... I decided to go with the Caribsea Indo-Pacific. This is a salt and pepper sort of look with both white and black sand... I love it.

To comment on your VHO vs. T5-HO.A 48'' 55w T5-HO bulb puts out more PAR then a 48'' 110w VHO bulb,something in the range of 30% or more PAR.There are some PAR test done on Reef Central along time ago when VHO was still in vogue.

So based on the premise of par, the leds would be the best bet as they equal 2 - t5s each followed by t5ho followed by vho...

It depends on the LED(focus or unfocus and watts).The best ones are using the Cree 3w LED bulbs.I haven't seen any PAR test on the LED you mentioned.

These maybe similar to the ones you mentioned.They are unfocus 1w,puts out good PAR but I would only consider them on shallow tanks maybe no more then 20 inches deep.I would go focus 3w LED like the AquaIllumination for deeper tanks.

Evolution LED Light : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids

The reef brite have 24- 3w. Hey also use a reflector to focus the LEDs.

Locally, and on reef central they been getting very good feedback

Starting to lean thar way the more I read too.. The blue spectrum is slightly different than t5 atinics too, it goes even bluer.

I buy some stuff now and again from a local reefer who runs LED's on his tank...Personally, I have (2) 250w MH and (1) 400W MH.....Let's just say I'm jealous of his lights....

He's an experienced reefer and doses, but the amount of growth he gets out of those lights can't be denied.

The reef brite have 24- 3w. Hey also use a reflector to focus the LEDs.

Locally, and on reef central they been getting very good feedback

Starting to lean thar way the more I read too.. The blue spectrum is slightly different than t5 atinics too, it goes even bluer.

Then they should do nicely for you.

ITS HERE!!!!!

Currently in my van but here....!!!

It showed up today all crated up. I pick my sump up tomorrow and then I can put it on the stand.

I also decided to go with 2 of the 48" LEDs and have purchased them. I bought 1 50/50 and 1 blue. I will say they are bright for sure....

It is raining here so I need to wait to paint the inside of the canopy and then I can mount all the lights.

I know there has been lots to do but its hard to get motivated when you dont have a tank to look at...

I will take a bunch of pics once everything gets brought in.

Hi all,

Well with the crazy learning curve I think it is almost time to add some water... I have to level the stand tomorrow and make sure the clearance is enough for the canopy to fit on top and then its add water time. :)

Excuse the fingerprints and mess.

Here is the miracles tank. Took a while to come for sure but the tank looks awesome. Dusty...but awesome.
IMG_4717_web.jpg

The stand was custom built and I have to say the photos just do not do this justice. I am very happy with it... Simple.... Huge... and very functional.
IMG_4721_web.jpg

The canopy was also custom built. On top you can see the 2 Ice cap 660 ballasts and 2 5" fans for cooling.
IMG_4742_web.jpg

I don't really have great photos of the inside of the canopy as I didnt have anyone to help me move it to see inside :)

As mentioned it has 2- 250mh running XM 10K bulbs with a 48" Reefbright Blue LED and a 48" Reefbrite 50:50 LED (both using the 3w LEDS)

Here is a bad photo of one mh and the 2 leds...
IMG_4746_web.jpg

The Sump was custom built as well and is made out of Acrylic.
The first section houses the skimmer, then we have a bubble trap, then the zeovit reactor, then the return. The last section is a RO ATO reservoir.
IMG_4724_web.jpg

The skimmer is a Vertex IN180
IMG_4727_web.jpg

The reactor is the 3L Vertex Zeo.
IMG_4729_web.jpg

The return pump is a Eheim 1262.

The system will be controlled by a Profilux Plus IIEX with Salinity, Redox, Temp, PH and 3 - level sensors.
IMG_4732_web.jpg

For power...I am using the American DJ 4 bars (thanks D2mini) and the Digital 6 outlet Profilux bar.
IMG_4733_web.jpg

IMG_4737_web.jpg

The powerheads are MP40's here is a quick shot of the heads themselves and the controller.
IMG_4736_web.jpg

IMG_4735_web.jpg

Hopefully....tomorrow is the day :)

I am planning on running the zeo system and will be doing the 14day cycle. Here is the link for those who are interested.

zeovit.com - View Single Post - ZeoVit Basic Information (FAQ)

The question is what to do regarding a) my rock and b) my fish...

Rock...
I have 65lbs in my 58 gallon now... this rock has corals encrusted to it, lots of life etc etc.
I also have 55 lbs in a bucket with a heater and powerhead.

Lastly, I will probably have to buy another 50lbs or so...

How would you put it in ie what order and amounts? I dont want to pull too much rock out of my 58 and cause a problem there.

As for fish....
Here is the list of fish I have....
2 Picasso clowns
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Purple Firefish
1 Purple Tang
1 Achilles Tang (currently at a friends house)
1 Chevron Tang (currently at a friends house)

The guide mentioned putting in a herbivorous fish first and then adding fish slowly... I have a few questions though...

First off I have no idea how I am ever going to catch them if I leave the rock in the 58.

As for what order...I was thinking adding the the melanarus wrasse first, then the clowns, then the purple firefish, then the sixline, then ALL of the tangs...

I am a) not sure if the order is good.. b) no idea how far to spread the additions out.

Thoughts?

Here are a few more shots of the tank and stand.
IMG_4750_web.jpg

IMG_4754_web.jpg

IMG_4755_web.jpg

IMG_4758_web.jpg

FYI - The grey 90' coming out of the overflow is just temporary until the flexhoses show up.

Locally, a lot people are giving me critisism that the profilux and profilux bar have to be outside of the stand..

Say it ain't so.... I really don't want to have a stand or something beside it

Locally, a lot people are giving me critisism that the profilux and profilux bar have to be outside of the stand..

Say it ain't so.... I really don't want to have a stand or something beside it

Everything looks so nice and clean. I'm happy for you and can't wait to see pics of it filling up with life.

I don't see why you'd have to put them outside the stand . As long as they don't get wet or are in a position to get wet them I think you're ok.

Well today has not been a great day....

My car was broken into last night....they stole my stereo and other stuff totaling 3k.

Then today I also discovered the profilux I purchased (used) has a broken screen. On a positive sidebar GHL is replacing the screen (with a used one) for free I just have to pay for shipping up and back. But short of going to purchase a new timer power bar it means having to wait. YET AGAIN....

Grumble grumble

Anyone see any problems with my bubble trap in my sump?

Locally, people are saying it is upside down. The guy who made it swears it will be fine....

Thoughts?

Back