ltkenbo's 55 Gallon Rebuild

DSC07292.jpg

DSC07293.jpg

And here's some pics of some of my goby and tang in there tiny temporary tank, fred the goby has really had to get use to being touchy feely cause the floor space of the 20 gallon tall isn't very large but he's gotten use to it. It's him, the scopus tang and the coral beauty in that tank, and the clownfish in a separate 10 gallon:

DSC07294.jpg

DSC07295.jpg

DSC07297.jpg

DSC07296.jpg

Well I filled it with water today, haven't mixed salt yet though, I gotta make like 10 more gallons to fill up the sump more and eventually another 5-10 for the refugium. Anyways no leaks or anything so everything is good so far:

DSC07298.jpg

DSC07299.jpg

DSC07300.jpg

Thanks guys!

So what would be the best way to cycle my tank considering I have all base/dry rock in there right now? Should I guess buy a single piece of live rock from the fish store and also add like a piece of cocktail shrimp in there to begin the cycle and seeding?

Last time I cycled I was using live rock to do so, but since my live rock is all dry now I need to do something different.

Everything I read says if you do use a raw shrimp is to the remove the body after several days.Personally,I prefer ghost feeding a small amount of fish food.Yeah,you will need to add live bacteria so a few pounds of live rock would be a good idea.

Ok so ammonia plus seeding. Should I run it with the lights on? I suppose this will help with coraline and other algae growth, I know initial algae growth is inevitable, however at least I do have a tang now so once I move the fish in he can help with that.

Running lights and how long is up to you.Algae will come and eventually you will need the light so go ahead and run them.At least just a few hours a day.

So I decided just to use one of the old pieces of live rock that I have in my temporary tanks with my fish cause the ones at the store were trade in and they had aptasia :-(. Anyways, I put a single piece in with the rest of the rock (no sand) and for the life of me, I cannot get ammonia readings to go above 0. Over the last 3 days I have been adding a cube of frozen fish food each day and still ammonia reads 0. No nitrites, no nitrates, steady pH. What's up with this? Is the biological filtration of that rock just super good? Or is there a better way to add ammonia to the tank cause I aint reading any...

No I don't think so, most of the test kits work fine, I've got 2 different test kits for ammonia too, and I've tried them both. It's an API test kits and all my other ones work (I know for sure nitrite works and nitrate)

Back