Marinne's 65G LPS tank

ugh, I really don't know what to do at this point...I am going to have to nuke all of this rock and dry it out for ever

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I am pissed :mad:

there is no way I would get all of them out...I had to take the clowns to the fish store and nuke the rocks, it's the only way to get rid of them

setup my 30G long, saved all my water and bought new live sand/base rock...maybe I will have a short cycle with the water so I can get my clowns back

I bought all new base rock and using a new tank...not risking it at all, I feel like I just threw $400 out the window while driving down the highway

never again will I use TBS

I know, the risk I took turned on me...I didn't think it would have the worst parasite imaginable in the rock, hairy crabs and aiptasia I can deal with but not those buggers

You can thoroughly disinfect and sterilize your rock in a week if you want....Continue to soak in the 10:1 bleach for 24 hours and rinse lots!!!! Set it out on a tarp and let it all dry and air for a week then next weekend make a 10:1 water to muriatic acid mixture. Put on old power head in the bottom and run throughout the process. Add acid to water not water to acid or it will cause an explosion. Do this outdoors with GREAT respect. I had a prevailing breeze and I kept it to my back. Put all the rock in for about 45 minutes and then pour baking soda in to neutralize the acid....it will foam LOTS when you add the rock, then again when you add the soda. The soda will neutralize the acid to just water and salt. Wash, swish and rinse the rock with the final rinse being in RO/DI water and your rock will be pristine and ready to use. The bleach gets rid of life, the acid gets rid of plated out phosphates and heavy metals. Put it in, seed it or use FritzZyme 900 and you will have a clean tank....

A good hardware or a pool store will have the muriatic acid....again, be careful, this stuff is Hydrochloric acid and is strong stuff...

I have read that about it...prob just gonna dry it out for ever and bleach it again before I use it

just hoping my tank cycles fast, don't want my clowns in that LFS

Marinne, I just read about what you have in your tank and they are a plague. I'm so sorry this happened to you. You were just starting to enjoy your tank and then this. I hope you can have a short cycle so you can put your clowns in the 30 gallon soon. :(

me too and thanks...I know it is so disappointing but glad I caught it and could bet my clowns out

good thing my new German shepherd puppy woke me up at 5am, that's when I found it

me too and thanks...I know it is so disappointing but glad I caught it and could bet my clowns out

good thing my new German shepherd puppy woke me up at 5am, that's when I found it
Yes, I was good you caught it on time. And that puppy deserve a good dog treat for that. :)

I just want to add that even though TBS rock is amazing you still run a risk of some sort of "pest". Though I'd still go with TBS over any other live rock. best of luck with the rock and when you get your tbs order may you get nothing but helpers on it.

Back