my new 195 gal is coming in 2 weeks

Why the starboard? Isn't that the plastic grid material? Isn't that going to give spots for stuff to collect? Why not just bare bottom?

Why the starboard? Isn't that the plastic grid material? Isn't that going to give spots for stuff to collect? Why not just bare bottom?

Its the same stuff as cutting board , its actually used for marine boats{marine board} .The great thing about it is it will never fade or break and it wont trap waste, unlike egg create where there holes and you can get it in any color even sand color. The mane reason I'm using it is so that my glass wont break if any rock fall and no waste build up.The stuff is really cheap if you know where to get it. It cost me 55$ for my hole tank, egg create cost me 36$ so not that big of a difference.

Last edited:
Okay, so is it going to look like a white cutting board on the bottom of your tank? Will stuff get underneath it? also won't it float or try to float all the time? I have never heard of this method and look forward to hearing more about it as you put it together. Please post some pictures when you get it going.

Okay, so is it going to look like a white cutting board on the bottom of your tank? Will stuff get underneath it? also won't it float or try to float all the time? I have never heard of this method and look forward to hearing more about it as you put it together. Please post some pictures when you get it going.

nope it don't float and you can get it in any color and even if it did float i have 300lbs of live rock so the board wont be going any where i got my in a sand color well i would post a pic of it but i cant figure that out for the life of me

Last edited:
rarecoral21-albums-un-todate-pic-picture307-small.jpg
this is the starboard thats I'm using in the sand color I have it cut in 3 pcs just in case i couldn't fit it.

rarecoral21-albums-un-todate-pic-picture312-new3.jpg

The new live rock in the totes and the sump.I did this mainly to add water volume so I can help prevent a Minny cycle.I have about 165 gallon now that I added slowly its all been brewing about 3 weeks now.This way I don't have to add much new water.
rarecoral21-albums-un-todate-pic-picture311-new4.jpg
my skimmer in a 55 gallon tote.these are the first stages will upload more pic when I get the tank.

Last edited:
rarecoral21-albums-un-todate-pic-picture315-tank-stand.jpg
my new stand as you can see my boys slept in it last night,the wife is not so happy that the stand is as big as are table.she will get over it some day lol.

and for the tank the lfs said one more week again because they had to finish my nephews 100 gallon so once again this Saturday,at least i have the stand and canopy.

Back