New to the hobby.

No, I don't think that would be enough to spike them to 80. I think there's something else going on, but until you get it figured out, you should do some water changes to try and bring the nitrates down. No need to panic -- just up your maintenance for the next week or two.

It has carbon in one bag and ceramic rings in another. What all should I do to the them and the rest of the system?

Toss all of it IMO, but slowly so you dont shock your system. You can keep the bare bones of the filter and make a hang on the back refuge (which is always nice and can used as a place for pods to breed) or chuck some rubble in there to increase your natural filtration.

Yes, and dont panic if you dont have a skimmer right away. Many of us, me included, dont run a skimmer. I just do water changes, have a really low stocked system (mostly cuz ive been lazy about ordering more seahorses) and i dont over feed.

So everything appears to still be alive. Water change and nitrates came down to 40. I also removed the carbon and sponge from the filter. Will be putting live rock rubble in it tomorrow. Thanks again to all for your help!

Sure there's a chance the fire shrimp will live. Shrimp are generally very sensitive to nitrates, but these animals continually surprise me.

So I went to the lfs for live rock rubble to put in my filter and all they had was dry rock. That had been sitting on shelves. He told me to soak it in hot water then put it in. Is this ok or will this create more nitrates in my tank. Help please.

So I went to the lfs for live rock rubble to put in my filter and all they had was dry rock. That had been sitting on shelves. He told me to soak it in hot water then put it in. Is this ok or will this create more nitrates in my tank. Help please.

This is okay, but just keep in mind, it's not live rock. If you have live rock in your tank currently, this new rock will become live over time. Your nitrates won't go up by adding base/dead rock.

Just fyi, you'll want to boil some RO or distilled water if you're going to follow the LFS' direction of soaking it. Hot water out of the tap, from what I understand, may contain more metals in it than cold, and possibly copper.

Back