New to the hobby.

I did boil the water so I hope it works out. I just want to get those nitrates down. The guy at the lfs was also trying to get me to use pure something. Anyone familiar with that?

probably chemipure, I like Purigen for nitrate reduction, the dead rock could give you more trates, it was alive, then dead, organics will still be present inside the rock, water changes and Nitrate removal media should get it back down

Well that isn't chemi-pure or purigen. Chemi-pure has a dark blue label and purigen is white and blue.

101_0332.jpg

Prime is a dechlorinator for tap water, has a stresscoat additive and will convert ammonia to a non toxic form, good for emergencies, don't think it will help your situation, chemiclean and purigen are very good

Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions for getting nitrates down. I have done 5 gallon water changes the last 3 days and things are not getting significantly better.

I had the lfs test my water today and the nitrates showed 0????? Everything was good except the phosphates were at 2.

That's high for phosphate!
I posted on here once when mine were between 0-.25 and was told that was too high.
That is the extent of my water knowledge.
Remind me... are you cycling?
My phosphates have been at 0 ever since I got my fuge all set up. Gotta love the chaeto.

I don't think i am cycling. I bought the tank already set up and just moved it. I got some phos zorb to put in the filter. I did not have a phosphate test in my kit so I really didn't know. I also believe the people before me always used tap water. I only use ro/di so hopefully it will come down. Any other suggestions?

phosphate kits are the worst kits, if they used a meter I would maybe believe those numbers, for now I would say no emergency, carry on as if everything is fine (I think it is) just continue your normal maintenance

Back