Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

Update: Added a pair of clowns Friday and they're doing well

So far the tank inhabitants are
Yellow Tail Damsel (Spike)
3 Green Chromis (Larry, Curly, and Mo)
2 Ocillaris Clowns (Dorito and Cheeto)

Water tests are all coming back at 0, and I still need to order a smaller Koralia

When should I start adding a clean up crew? I've already seen a few pieces of fish food make it to the bottom of the tank, and for some reason the fish just wont touch it once it gets there. Do I start with snails, or some sort of shrimp (peppermint shrimp perhaps)

I'll eventually have peppermint shrimp, but my wife fell in love with a blood shrimp at the LFS, can they coexist? (She has a habit of liking things that just won't work in a reef tank like puffers and triggers)

Here is a FTS

IMG_0049.jpg

That looks really nice! Blood shrimp will be fine with peppermint shrimp.

For a CUC, you will want a couple starfish (brittle or serpent) to keep the bottom clean of stray fish food. Some hermit crabs will do the same.

Biff, can I start adding a CUC now? I know they say 1 snail or hermit per gallon an obviously I couldn't support that many now but I was thinking a star and a few snails

Yeah, go ahead and add a star and a few snails. 1 snail or hermit per gallon is too much for most tanks. And if you do need that many, you should add them over time.

If you get a star, feed it once in a while. If you see its arms, then you can place a piece of food on one and it will draw it to its mouth.

Okay, so both LFS's in the area did not have much in the way of snails, one had brittle stars and said they dont't sift the sand

I have the following on order from ReefCleaners.org

20 Dwarf Ceriths
7 Nassarius
8 Florida Ceriths
5 Nerite

Should I still pick up a star, and do I want brittles or sand sifters?

You could probably add more Nass snails and use them for you sandsifters. If it were me personally, I wouldn't get a sand sifting star becuase they will eat all the beneficial life in your sand bed. I would get one or two serpent stars, they won't sift your sand but any food or detritus on the sand they'll clean up for you.

Northstar were you in at Aquatic Unlitimited around noon today asking about trading in some live stock? I was there and wondering if it was you. Good luck with your CUC and email me if you want to get together sometime. Did you get your cheato?

I was in AU tonight about 7:30- no need to trade in livestock right now, everything is going well. I did get some chaeto the other day for the refugium

Made my first impulse purchase tonight. I was at the lfs looking for starfish, and ended up with a great looking sailfin tang, that I got at an awesome price :)

Here is a photo of the tang

IMG_0052.jpg

He looks great and is eating flake food but won't eat the Ocean Nutrition seaweed I have in the tank. I can just slightly see his lateral line which I was not able to see at the store so I'm thinking he's a little stressed from the move

Okay, so my tank is now officially a 'reef'. I stopped by the LFS and they had their monthly 'Salty Saturday' sale and I brought home the following frogspawn, one side is green and brown, the other is green and white - I paid $20 for the frag

IMG_0059.jpg

How long will it take to open back up?

It's been forever since I've updated this thread. I figured it needed a few photos. Despite fighting a skimmer that foams to the point of flooding due to dosing Pimafix, and an algae outbreak due to the lack of a skimmer, things in my tank are going very well.

I now have the following fish in my reef (in order of purchase)
Yellow Tail Damsel
3 Green Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clowns
Sailfin Tang
Naso Tang
Kole Tang
Potter's Angel
Male Lyretail Anthias
Hippo Tang

From what I've read, I'm pretty much at my stocking level for fish
I also have the following inverts of note:
Cleaner Shrimp
Serpent Star
Coral Banded Shrimp

And the following Corals
3 types of zoas
Pulsing Xenia
Hammer Coral
Kenya Tree
Blue/teal Acan
Green Slimer Acropora
Candy Canes
Red Mushrooms
Green Metallic Mushroom

Next up, once things settle down and the skimmer gets running again: I really want to get a few pieces of 'shelf' rock and re-arrange the rocks to open up the tank a little more, and make it look less like a 'rock wall'

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Back