Team Seahorse Contest Deco

Not just a baby hermit, according to the website C linked... they only get a max of 1", and none of my hermits are that small.

Thanks for all the info, Cath.. I love that website! I want to get some itty bitty brittle stars, and some micro hermits. and maybe some of those sand clams for my big tank...hmmm.

I love IPSF. Gerald is awesome.

I'm convinced this is the best video series for newbies getting into marine tanks:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2X9PJEc7o]YouTube - Nano Lagoon (1): Tank and Filter[/ame]

Well, my mangroves came in. Ugh. They were very cold. This is the second time I've ordered mangroves, the first time they were frozen solid and looked more like a box of asparagus than mangroves. This time there was no ice, just cold. I cleaned them up and found a few of the 20 that actually had roots on them and planted them. The water is cloudy, I'll shoot pics later. I got 3 planted in the HOB filter and 4-5 in the tank. I don't think they are going to take. Does anyone have experience with this?

C

got my nano mag yesterday, it is super strong. works great on the acrylic , bends in the corners and takes up almost no room. I highly recommend if you need a mag cleaner still. Wish I could help on the mangroves, but I have never had any.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Tex. I ordered one!

So I shot the Deco today. The mangroves look really pathetic:

5172749467_3becfdd65f_z.jpg

5173353682_e75155983e_z.jpg

I added a tiny frag of a purple ribbon gorg. I've got a bunch for this tank but I only added one for now:

5173354050_b9535c687d_z.jpg

5172748387_7db146f8e0_z.jpg

5172749179_70e52a7f27_z.jpg

So, today I designed the sump for this tank that will ultimately disqualify me. It's pretty neat. I'm thinking about adding a waterfall that will flow into the tank. I also built the mangrove tank that will serve as the back-up for the dwarfs should I need to move them quickly.

C

why do you need the sump? just curious

Once the dwarf ponies go in there I'll have to feed 3x daily a "snow" of enriched baby brine shrimp. Much of the macro that is in there now will be gone by then but I'll still have quite a few "dead" spots in the tank. I can add snails but I need to be light on crabs and anything with pincers. My thinking is that I'll need additional flow to account for the dead spots and I'll need a proper skimmer and more water mass to accommodate all the the muck from the feed and the dwarfs. By choosing to put dwarfs in there, I'm really asking too much from the tiny HOB filter even with a bunch of macro.

Catherine

Back