2009 Nano Build Contest!

I have been doing alot of reading on them. On the internet and in "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". Im gonna go ahead and get another book on reef aquariums. Have to see whats available at the book store. Any suggestions? I dont think I will have much of a chance against all of yall with a ready supply of frags. For me its not realy the prize of the tank but the fun of trying a new part of the hobby.

there's an article of reef keeping books here https://www.livingreefs.com/ideal-books-reef-keepers-t19535.html

Well just got back home from spending to much money on fishy stuff. Picked up a new 10 gal deathtrap got the Nano-Reef Handbook and some base rock for the build. Put the rock in my big tank (lol) so it will be live when this starts. Have you seen the nano build on indo-pacific Sea Farms website? Gonna do something like that including the modification for the light. Just not gonna do the hob filter and no way will i use tap water like they say to. Was thinking of modifying a hob fuge with the skimmer in it. Maybe the cpr one with the skimmer but will have to see if i can afford that later. If not their is one from Aquatraders but dont know how my wife will like me possibly burning down the house. Is it ok to paint the tank backing now or would that be starting this thing early?:bounce:

oh damn i wanna do this so bad, but i just cant, i dont have enough money to support my first tank, much less starting another one... and i even have the 10G tanks laying around for it...

guess i'll just have to sit back and watch.. i'm not ready for nano yet anyway, i still have too much to learn and good habits to start and bad ones to loose before dealing with that small of a water qty.

Ah come on project. I have absolutely no idea what im doing but misery loves company. Im gonna get so smoked by all the experts give me some one to laugh with. Im doing this on such a shoe string budget it will be comical. :D

yea, i would consider it if i had a shoe string, but i just recently got slapped backwards all the way back to velcro shoes... so... i just dunno.. lemme sleep on it a bit.

not to mention i still dont have a decent skimmer for my tank.. and i'm still trying to get the new stand for the big tank finished..

Last edited:
no problem we can be team Texas. We both can figure out how to screw this up lol :bounce:

I have a friend here in Tucson that just got into the hobby a few months ago. He recently got a free 80gal with a 4ft t-5 from a friend. He plans to set it up but in the mean time he hangs it over his 5 gal nano. It is the funniest thing, but his corals are all growing like weeds :)

well i picked up the ten gallon for me today! $14.87 with tax! you cant afford not to do this contest!

leak testing it now

IMG00222-20090714-1750.jpg

Built by DP LOL :shock::mrgreen:

IMG00223-20090714-1752.jpg

well yote i was thinking something else when i saw DP but i will not go any further than that. but yes i will blame dustin if it fails, but the leak test went over great so far.

Back