Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

The Potters has been in the tank since the end of November, and he has been a model citizen since then. I feed flake in the afternoon, and some frozen later on - so the fish in the tank are well fed. From what I have read, that is the key to keeping the 'Reef Safe - With Caution' fish from munching on your corals.

I appriciate all the comments :)

Oh, and who needs the coral eating angels when you can have tangs!

Alright, finally got the LED's over the tank tonight. I think I need to lower them a little bit to get the tank to my liking, either that or a re-scape of my rocks, there are a few shadowy areas I'd like to get rid of

First Photo - Whites at 100%

IMG_0144.jpg

Second Photo - White / Blue / Royal Blue at 100%
IMG_0145.jpg

Its probably obvious, but I've got three of the new Sol Super Blues over a standard footprint 180. Everything in the tank is pissed off right now because of the install work and playing around with the lights.

I will say this, the controller is a pain in the ass to use

I dont know the dimensions of a 46 bow, but you'd need one module per 24 inches per of tank, and you have to get them 12+ inches above the water

Okay, so according to google, a 46 bowfront is 36x15x20

If you look here:
AI Sol - Performance

There is a par chart for a 36x36 area at a 24 inch depth. With some creative rock work, you could probably make one unit work - but you would have some lower light in the corners of the tank assuming you mounted the module in the middle.

I need to play around with mine a little bit, but I appear to get pretty good coverage on the 180 with the three units. There is a lot more shimmer than what I had with my MH fixture, and there are some shadows created by the rock (more so than with the MH). I think this is due to the optics on the LED's versus the reflector on the MH

Since your tank is only 20 inches deep, the other thing you could do is look at replacing the 40 degree optics in the center pucks to 70 degree optics that are in the corner pucks. This would give you less depth penetration, but more spread. From the par charts that I've seen, you'd probably be okay

The other person you may want to bounce this off of is Parachute, I beleive he had the first gen unit, and has upgraded to the new Sol Blue

I was thinking of strip of LED lights to supplement my t5, but i just looked and they havent actually released them yet.

I think ill just wait till i upgrade to the bigger tank. Quite a few people in my area also have the AI leds and i love how they make the tank look.

The photos dont really do it justice, iPhone camera FTL

I'm going to play with the controller and see if the point and shoot Olympus can get some better photos (I doubt it)

I really need a real camera....

Hannah, I misunderstood. If you're looking for LED strips, I would go with some of these over the AI ones:
Stunner LED Strips - Modular LED Lighting - Products

I would get the UV ones. There are some in the reefing community that feel LED's do not put out enough UV light (as compared to MH or T5 bulbs)

There are a few people over on RC that have actually started experimenting with UV strips added to AI modules. It hasnt been going on long enough to draw any serious conclusions, but early reports are that it does make the corals look better, havent seen anything indicative yet though.

AI was also considering some sort of UV puck after requestst from customers, but I think that has been shelved, at least for now

Only complain I really have at this point is making all the wires look clean is going to be a pain in the butt

That is exactly what i was looking for! I think those will work perfectly. Right now i really dont get great colors with the t5's. Im going to get some new bulbs, but i think the LEDS will help me get to the look i want.

I'll come take pictures for ya ;)

You shouldnt have to nor should you run them at 100% (prolly just showing off i know)

Have you figured out what your light scheduling will be?

I gotta see this in person.

I've got them on from 12-9 right now, and then I have the Royal blues on at 4% for moonlights.

I doubt I'll need 100%, thats just what they power up to when you plug the power in. I'm currently running them at 30%. I plan on raising it 5% a week until i get to 75% or so, at that point I'll try and get a PAR meter to see where I'm at. Starting off on the lower end to make sure I dont melt anything in the tank. They dont look as bright to the human eye as the MH fixture, but I know for a fact I've easily got twice the PAR

Dana- come on over and snap photos any time. The fridge full of beer is right around the corner from the fish tank....

Alright, here is the tank under 30% White / 30% Blue / 30% Royal Blue

I came home from work and my corals look better than they ever did under my MH/T5 setup after just one afternoon at these settings

Now if I could only figure out a clean way to deal with all the wires....

IMG_0147.jpg

Back