Operation Nemo (Northstar24's 180g build)

You could get the plastic rigid tubing that is flat on one side, made to mount on the wall, and the wires go through it, and you paint it to match the wall.

I'm sure it has a name, I just don't know it! I use it in my TV room.

Screw some wire mould...That stuff looks like hell.

Shoot me a PM, I'll walk you through how to do it right.

Yea, I remeber when Biff had some electrical issues....Didnt you have to call some one to fix that? A switch I remember....

Looking good, guess I will need to stop over and check them out in action. How's the hairy mushroom doing? BTW Midwest coral has your new powerhead in stock and they have a 20 on display if you want to go play with it for a while.

I wanted to update everyone on the LEDs. My pagoda cup, plate coral, mushroons, kenya tree, zoas and clam all appear to be doing well under the LEDs. I started them at 25% intensity and have since moved them up to 35% intensity. I think I'll slowly work my way up to 50% and leave them there

Unfortunately I managed to melt my green slimer acorpora. I moved it down lower in the tank, but it looks pretty sad.

I also need to report that the Majestic angel I added about 2 weeks ago or so is behaving mostly. It has left every coral in the tank alone, but has been observed picking at the clam. Right now I have a tupperware container over the clam while I decide who stays and who goes, or if I can figure out a way to get the two to cohabitate peacefully

I've also started using the two part solution from BRS, as my alkilinity has been steadily declinging, and a 10% weekly PWC does not seem to be enough to keep it in line. My calclium is at 520-540 ppm, Mag is 1350, and Alk was at 6. Through dosing I have raised it up to 8, hopefully it will be easier to maintain with the two part solution

Everything sounds like it's going really well. If I were you, I'd definitely keep the angel if it's not touching anything else in the tank. With that being said, if you need a new home for the clam I'll PM you my address :mrgreen:

My Alk has been low at 6 for a while now. I cant seem to get it up, so if u figure out a way to increase the Alk and not the Cal, let me know. My Cal is at 440ppm

Glad mostly everything is taking nicely to the new lights. Pictures are always a plus =)

Was wondering if you think you could mount those lights inside a canopy? Is there a way to screw the fixture onto a piece of plywood? Do you think this is a bad idea as far as heat? I know the heat is almost none, but with the back of the light block...

I'd say no as I've never seen them mounted and think the top is proly the part that gets hot. Is the light to much while sitting down or something? I'd have to get a closer look. I have off Thursday if u wanna hook up.

Is the light to much while sitting down or something?
not sure what you mean?--I don't have one yet, but am planing on getting one so I am trying to figure a way to mount them. I would like to mount them right on the inside of a canopy, kind of the way you would do a "stunner strip".
Sorry this week will not work out for me, very busy during the week, then Hoilday weekend. Soon the three of us need to hook up for a trip to MCF.

Oh I thought u had it already. And what I ment was. When I sit on my couch and my canopy is up the light cant be ignored. It's kinda blinding if u are not eye level and the canopy down. Hens me wanting a canopy so I can watch tv in peace.

With a little bit of engineering I think you could mount them in a canopy. I would make sure there is a little bit of room to get air around the fixtures though. They run really cool - I can touch the heat sink after they have been running for 10+ hours and its hardly warm to the touch. That being said, I would still want to make sure that there is some sort of airflow around the heat sinks.

I've had the lights over the tank for a while now, this weekend one of the power cords died. I need to call AI and get a replacement under warranty.

Edit - Totally didnt see the Dana's posts, my computer has been acting weird. You know - I have a fridge full of beer right around the corner from the tank. The three of us should really put something on the calendar. The grill my wife and I got as a wedding gift was put togeter recently and needs to be broken in as well.....

I can always request a day off and also have a guy at work that will take a shift if need be. You two come up with a date and time and let me know and I'll be there. Only day that I can't do is a Tuesday. Let me know.

And northstar is right I'd be worried about that heatsink being in contact with wood even tho it barley gets warm. But I'm sure we 3 could fabricate something.

Yes, there are three 2x2 openings on the bracing of the 180, and I have one AI unit over each of these 2x2 squares. I have the units mounted on one of the rails parrallel to the front and back panes of glass on the tank (approximately centered in each of the 2x2 squares)

Its been a while, and I just got back from Midwest coral Farms - the corals are acclimating and while I'm sitting here I thought I'd post up a list

Today I got the follwoing
Green/Black Favia - like none I've ever seen before
Purple / Green Candy Cane frag
Neon Green Candy Cane Frag
10 Head Ricordrea rock
3 different chalice frags
Pink Birdsnest (to try my hand at SPS)
Neon Green / Purple plate coral
Duncan frag

At least my tank doesn't look empty now!

Back