125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Workshop

Re: 125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Worksop

I wasn't 100% satisfied with how those DIY Lumenarcs came out using SunTunnel. So I got a couple guys from my reef club to go in with me to buy some hammertone reflector sheets. This stuff is way nicer than the SunTunnel and they ended up costing only $18.75 per reflector. I am totally happy with how these came out.

hammertone1_3-09.jpg

hammertone2_3-09.jpg

hammertone3_3-09.jpg

Do you think that the hammer tone reflectors do better Capt?
And are you sure your not a sheetmetal man?:D

Do you think that the hammer tone reflectors do better Capt?
And are you sure your not a sheetmetal man?:D
This is the exact same reflector material that's used on the new $148 LumenMax Elite reflectors. The idea behind the hammertone is that it doesn't give off hot spots.

Practice makes perfect Yote. :) I learned alot on my 1st attempt and this hammertone was easier to work with since it was flat to begin with.

I finished up this project today. I'm very happy with how everything turned out.

Here's the old reflectors. Well not really old since I only bought them 1 yr ago when I setup the tank.
hammertone-before_3-09.jpg

The new reflectors in place.
hammertone-after_3-09.jpg

And everything set back up and running.
hammertone-tank_3-09.jpg

looks good capt, how about a before and after with the reflectors, if the new light output is noticeable

looks great. do you notice a big difference in light that gets to the tank.
Yes. Quite a difference. I have to cut the hrs the lights are on and gradually build it back up.
looks good capt, how about a before and after with the reflectors, if the new light output is noticeable
I wish I took a pic of the old reflectors before I took the canopy off, but I started early in the AM before the lights came on. Here's an older pic. You can see lots of light got wasted where the new reflectors force all the light down into the tank.

iwa15K-open_5-08.jpg

wow what a difference. Its things like this that are probably going to drive my eventual switch to mh lighting. love it.

ccCapt if you don't mind sharing.....where did you get the hammertone material? I would like to get try this.

Where did you get the sheet metal and the plans to cut those oout. That looks great.

Capt, I've gotta say something that's been bothering me for a year. Can I please please please change the title of your thread to "workshop" instead of "worksop"? PLEASE???

Capt, I've gotta say something that's been bothering me for a year. Can I please please please change the title of your thread to "workshop" instead of "worksop"? PLEASE???
I can't....lol. I guess you need to be a mod to do that (rename a thread). I tried when I started the thread. I did notice it back then.

Back