125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Workshop

Re: 125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Worksop

That should do the trick Capt.Plus a lot cheaper than buying the Lumenarcs.

These would probably be a breeze for you to make Yote. I have no experience with sheet metal fabrication and so far this seems pretty easy. Just got to figure out a way to make nice bends.

Pay your local heat and air company a visit Capt.They should have a sheetmetal break,and probably wouldnt charge you anything to break it.
If you lived close enough I'd say bring to the shop I work at.
I plan on building a set myself.Got the pattern ready and waiting at the shop.Were supposed to have a stainless job coming up using mirrored stainless.I'm hopeing to use the scrapes off that.That way I dont have to pay for the metal:D

Here it is. It came out OK. Nothing much to describe, the pics show it all. It starts with the full size print over the straightened out SunTunnel.

reflector1_09.jpg

reflector2_09.jpg

reflector3_09.jpg

reflector4_09.jpg

reflector5_09.jpg

reflector6_09.jpg

I need 3 total. I'm not 100% satisfied with how this 1 came out. The cut out pieces didn't really fit that well. I'm not sure why. If I decide to make the other 2, I will do it a little different. It comes down to...do I want to spend $60 and make 2 more and maybe not be totally satisfied, or spend $230 and buy them.

Looks exactly like all the store bought lumenarcs I've seen.
You'd make a pretty good sheetmetal man Capt.:D

Capt...amazing tank! I hope to someday have a tank like yours! It's truly a magnificent work of work.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Next project. ;)
This is a simple gate valve mod I did to my Octo NW200.

Here's the skimmer as it was. The return water just pours out the standpipe and over the sponges. The original sponges are crap so I made new 1's, but it was a pain always cleaning them.
gatemod1_2-09.jpg

Here's the parts for the mod. 1 1/2" pvc, a 1 1/2" gate valve and a 1 1/2" to 1 1/2" rubber connector. The skimmer plumbing is metric, so it's slightly bigger than the pvc, but the rubber works nice .
gatemod2_2-09.jpg

The skimmer cleaned up and ready for assembly.
gatemod3_2-09.jpg

All put together and ready to go in the sump. There is also a piece from the elbo that goes into the water. I had to put the skimmer in place so I could measure how big the piece needed to be.
gatemod4_2-09.jpg

Back in action.
gatemod5_2-09.jpg

everything looks great!!!What a project, you seem to know what your doing. Good job you are really devoted to this hobby. I like to see that you dont give up no matter how long it takes you!! Good luck with everything!!!

Thats a good looking mod Capt.
Should make skimmer maintance a little easier.

Well it's already 1 year since I set the tank up and transferred everything from the 75.

Here's a look at how the tank progressed.

2-21-08 tank was started
fts-c_2-08.jpg

5-08
fts-c_5-08.jpg

7-08
fts-c_7-08.jpg

9-08
fts-c_9-08.jpg

11-08
fts_11-08.jpg

2-21-09 and still learning how to use my camera
icon_wink.gif

fts_2-09.jpg

I picked up an Atlantic blue tang today and a female bartlett anthias. They had about 6 ABT's. A yellow juv about 3", a blue juv about 3.5" and 4 of the biggest tangs I think I've ever seen. They were only about 8"-9" long, but they were probably 7" from belly to dorsal high and about 3" thick. They had 1 in a big tank with about a 10" vlamingi, and the ABT made it look small. I'm nervous about this fish now....lol. I ended up getting the 3.5" blue juvie. I wanted 1 a little bigger, but the others were way to big. I hope my tang or angel doesn't go after it when I put it in. It's quite a bit smaller.

They only had 3 bartletts left. I was a male, the other looked to be starting to turn, so I took the smallest. Man....it's small compared to the 1's I have now. I'll fatten her up in the qt and hope for the best.

Aint it about time to frag that center Monti?:D
Awesome growth and an awesome tank Capt.
My hats to you.:D

Aint it about time to frag that center Monti?:D
I did frag it a few times already, but I need to frag it more. The left side is growing into the elkhorn and covering a bunch of zoas and star polyps.
Where did you get the Tang at? TFP or Northampton
Todd from Something Fishy got them in. He emailed me on Wed. I am nervous about this fish tho. Those 4 big 1's were HUGE. I really don't want a fish that big, but it will be a while before the 1 I got gets that big.

A very good sign tonight is both new fish I got are eating frozen brine already. The little bartlett is really spunky too....lol. She's out in the open and feeding like a savage. She'll need all the spunk she can muster when she gets in the main tank.

I am nervous about this fish tho. Those 4 big 1's were HUGE. I really don't want a fish that big, but it will be a while before the 1 I got gets that big.

A very good sign tonight is both new fish I got are eating frozen brine already. The little bartlett is really spunky too....lol. She's out in the open and feeding like a savage. She'll need all the spunk she can muster when she gets in the main tank.

Sounds like you picked up some great fish. I'm sure they will do well in your care. Good Luck
I'll wait for my Juvi!

amazing progression cccapt. a year ago were you using 2 aquaclear 50s on both ends? that is what it looked like before you updated to the hydors

a year ago were you using 2 aquaclear 50s on both ends?
Close ;) 2 AC 70's and 2 K-3's then in the center a RIO 600 I had laying around. Replaced the 2 AC 70's with 2 K-4's and the RIO with a K-1. I just happened to come across 2 K-4's to replace the K-3's, so I'll finally end up with 4 K-4's and 1 K-1.

Back