125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Workshop

Re: 125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Worksop

I'm having issues with microbubbles in the sump. I tried a 100 micron filter sock but that did nothing. I think I may have to wait it out and hope when all the new pvc gets "broken in" they will calm down.

bubbles1_2-08.jpg

The skimmer makes the sump look smaller than a 55.
skimmer3_2-08.jpg

skimmer2_2-08.jpg

Are they making it to the tank? Mine were so I added a sponge into by bubble trap. It worked like a charm. It looks like the water is hitting the sump water pretty hard. Is the pvs down in the water far enough. I also drilled holes in the part of the pvc that was underwater.

try a reverse durso. Where the water line is you put a T fitting. Put the T so it is half way into the water. Run a piece of pvc so it goes off of the side of the T and then up to release the bubbles. I can't really explain it very well.

Little update on the sump microbubble issue. I think the pipes are getting broken in now and the mb's are nowhere near as bad, but I made a couple small changes.

The 1" overflows now dump into 3" pvc in the sump. This is working nice.
sump1_2-08.jpg

sump2_2-08.jpg

Instead of using a filter sock where the pipes dump in, I had a filter pad that fit perfect over the eggcrate divider and it keep the mb's down too.
sump3_2-08.jpg

sump4_2-08.jpg

damn I may need to call on you in a couple years when I need to setup a badass tank system.

Just a little update. I had been running 175w Hamilton 14k bulbs. Supplemental lighting is 2x160 VHO UVL SuperActinic and 2x40 no fluorescent 65k. I just put in Iwasaki 15K's.

Here's the Hamilton 14K.
ham14K_5-08.jpg

Iwasaki 15K.
iwa15K_5-08.jpg

Hamilton 14K.
ham14K-open_5-08.jpg

Iwasaki 15K.
iwa15K-open_5-08.jpg

Defininately a lot more crisp. I almost think my eyes like the washier 14k. Im goofy too I guess.

I have hamilton 175's as well and it's time to replace bulbs. Are you pleased with the Iwasaki? Just curious.

Thanks all.
I have hamilton 175's as well and it's time to replace bulbs. Are you pleased with the Iwasaki? Just curious.
I've only had the bulbs in about 5 days, but they are definitely brighter than the Hamiltons.
Your tank looks great. Got any close up shots of corals or fish?
I posted pics about 2 months ago. Not much has changed since them. https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/tank-showcase/12644-new-125-pics.html

This is some of the fish.
feeding1_4-08.jpg

ccCapt.... incredible looking tank.. Very clean.. Looks amazing !!!

the best setup i ever seen. i would try to do it bu there are no basement in florida

i have to update the pictures. i build my canopy and done a couple more things

Latest FTS. Added 2 Koralia 4's to go with the 2 K-3's and 1 K-1.

fts_7-08.jpg

As to your carpentry skills with the tools you listed; you have nothing to be concerned about. It looks better than some work I've seen come from shops with every power floor tool possible.
Congratulations.

Back