HeavyHittah's 75 Gallon Reef Build! Be Excited, I Am...LOL

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Well as you all know it has been a long time. And now it's my time for a build thread. FINALLY. My plan is a Mixed reef with a coast to coast overflow (Calfo). I dont know what sump size yet but once i find one ill let you know. But lets hop into it.

All pics were taken with a LG Dare (3.0 mpx) Sorry...

The tank is AGA 75 gallon 48x18x20. Sorry for my foot being in the pic, i just sat down and kicked my shoes off. After getting it in my house.
0216091740.jpg

The wood came from Lowes.
0217091246.jpg

These are the 2 1/2" wood screws i got. They say "lifetime guarantee against rust" and seem to be coated with something. And i got 1 joist hanger just to play around with it and see if i wanted to use them on the middle supports.
0217091302.jpg

I found a skilsaw to use to cut the wood after having found out some jacka-- stole my other one. I went and bought a blade for it today. Ill start cutting tomorrow and probably get some of the stand built.

but thats it for now.

whoa, i thought id never see the day. glad to see it starting. and for the sump size just get as big as you can fit under the stand

Bout time you got a build started:D
Just a suggestion.Figure out what size sump you want,then build the stand around it.

oh yea from my plans i have with the stand i can fit a decent sized sump under there i just got to find another tank. i have a 10 gallon already for my qt.

just to make sure, isnt the only glass thats tempered on AGA tanks is the bottom?? just want to make sure before i try to drill it.
i checked here at aqueon's site and it says the bottom is tempered:http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19784.pdf

Last edited:
well this morning i was able to cut my wood and i still have all my fingers
0220091022.jpg

then i built the top, still thinking about using joist hangers, what you think?
0220091201.jpg

and finished the bottom
0220091243.jpg

the only reason i stopped was because i was working by myself and i was tired. and i think i got a cold now. i also needed to rest so i could figure out how i was going to connect the top and bottom with out an extra person or any of those long clamps. but everything is pretty level and square right now, so i want to keep it that way. Lord knows i was working hard.

Last edited:
attatch the the 2x4's to the bottom than lay the top on the ground and flip the bottom part over so that the ground holds it all up while you put the top peice on it

daugherty is this the type design you're thinking about:
Stand7.jpg

my design is similar but the difference is that all the 2x4's would be on the same plane. leaving no parts of any 2x4's in the middle area.

i guess. what i am trying to say is attach the bottom that flip the bottom with2x4's attatched and set it inside the top peice that is on the ground. does that make more since. my stand has no back or any support in the middle either we built mine way different so i could get mu sump in the stand.

I'll be following along watching the progress on your build.

Here's a pick of my stand frame. I built mine similar to what daugherty is explaining (I think). I've got no brace in the middle.

ce2ba3de.jpg

Last edited:
An UPDATE:

I went BACK to lowes and pick up these. Theyre 1x2 (or 3) inch studs. I made 4 of them @ 36in.
0221091037.jpg

Half way point, somewhat
0221091140.jpg

75% done
0221091222.jpg

0221091223.jpg

Got the top on
0221091250.jpg

and decided to put a support in the middle back
0221091317.jpg

now i need to decide what to use for the top and bottom floors. my dad has some of this in the back. it measures 7/16inch thick, should i use it??
0221091458.jpg

0221091459.jpg

thats it for now, and i decided not to use the joist hangers. the stand measures 49 longx19 widex36 tall. Do yall think three feet is too high? im about 5'9".

make it as high as you want, its your stand and tank. and i would go ahead and use that wood for your floor, it doesnt have to be very strong, just enough to hold your sump

Your tank has plastic trim so you don't need a top for your stand. Only time you need a top for the stand is when there is no trim on the tank or if you have a acrylic tank.

Back