HeavyHittah's 75 Gallon Reef Build! Be Excited, I Am...LOL

Yep, they are right. Even my 240 is only supported around the edges, nothing underneath it. (Although I admit, it is kinda scary with all that rock and sand concentrated in certain areas of the tank :shock:).

Yep, they are right. Even my 240 is only supported around the edges, nothing underneath it. (Although I admit, it is kinda scary with all that rock and sand concentrated in certain areas of the tank :shock:).

I hear ya.

As I was moving 100 lbs of rock into the house yesterday I was feeling a little scared about all this weight being supported by a sheet of glass. :shock:

yes the thought of it is scary and i have nothing in the tank yet. but if a 240 can handle it i guess i can. next ill go see how much a panel of 1/4inch plywood is at lowes for the sump bottom. can i nail that in or do i have to screw also? if nail, do they make rust proof nails?

If its metal,it can rust.Even stainless will rust given time.
I'd shoot some screws in it.They tend to hold better than nails anyhow.

ok thnx yote. i just realized i dont have one of those reciprocating saws to cut the inside squares of the plywood skin. hmmm :dunno:

They can be cut with a skil saw,you just have to be a little more careful and might have to trim the corner with your pocket knife a tad.But not really a big deal.

You can use those same screws that I see in a pic back on page 1. That's what I used to screw the plywood to the bottom of my stand. Probably won't make much difference once you get your sump on it.

Your cuts to fit the sump floor in don't have to be all that perfect. I know mine were not. After I got the sides on I siliconed around the edges to seal up the gaps made by my crooked blade :D.

Looks like you are off and running Heavy! Looks great too, just a little tip for you, come up with some way to make the bottom waterproof. You can use rolled linoleum or ceramic tile. I would come up about four inches onto the sides too. I would also paint the inside of it too. Great start!

I guess I have never thought about all that rock being supported by just a sheet of glass. Guess that's why my 180 is half Inch heavy ass glass

Another Update

Starting to skin it with some 1x6in pine boards. Red Oak costs more than i thought.
0223091710.jpg

0223091710a.jpg

i got the sump floor in. i used 1/4in oak
0223091711.jpg

Someone please reassure me that these gaps are not that bad. And one side is not touching the 2x4 but it is very close. Can i still use siliconized latex caulk to fill them in? still hoping to make the bottom overflow proof.
0223091711a.jpg

0223091712.jpg

well thats it for now, let me know what you think......Be Gentle:?

Looking good.
You've got to give yourself room to get the bottom in,so you've got to have some gap if its going to fit.A little silicone,and you'll never know their there.

Looking good. I'm with Yote on the gaps. They look a little big but you'll be fine filling them in with some silcone.

Update:

Here is the stand all skinned up, i used 1x8 for the two verticals on the front, they covered the posts better. and i added a board to the back so it can be able to to hold a few gallons after its done.
0224091415.jpg

0224091415b.jpg

0224091938.jpg

0224091415a.jpg

all thats left is to build the doors, add trim and molding, fill the gaps in the sump floor,prime inside with kilz,stain it, and polyur.
what yall think so far?

i know theres a few gaps but i didnt want to add anymore stress to the wood in certain areas, and the molding will cover it anyway

thnx dustin and yote.

trying to decide on the finishing pieces, but its kinda hard trying to come up with the final way you want something to look. i think i will make the doors look like a blocked grid (with fogged plexi?)(2 blocksx4 blocks maybe?) with a border around it. but i dont know what molding would match that. i just need to look at some stuff that inspires me. i was also thinking about getting premade doors but i dont know where to get them or order. any suggestions?

Back