HeavyHittah's 75 Gallon Reef Build! Be Excited, I Am...LOL

You can get premade doors at almost any box hardware store. If they dont have it is shock you will have to order it though and that drives up cost. If you are painting they almost always have the oak doors in stock. If you are going to stain like I think you said you probably either want to build doors with pine or order pine doors.
Stand looks good and sturdy. Keep the picts comming. I can hear the sound of saltwater mixing now.

yea hoops, when i ordered i thought about what you said with the stain and pine, but they didnt have pine, so i ended up getting unfinished oak cathedral style

If you use the same stain on both there wont be to much difference. Have you already polyed the stand while you wait on the doors or did you just stain it?
Normally the Oak will come out a little darker with the same stain used on pine. It will really depend on the piece of oak they use to make the doors.
If the doors come out darker than the stand and you dont like it you can try putting a second or third coat of stain on the stand to darken it. If you have already polyed it then you would have to sand it down to mess with all of that. Good luck and post some picts when the doors come in.

Well i havent done anything to it yet. And its skinned with oak boards from lowes. But Theres no poly or anything on it. I was waiting to get the whole thing finished first.

As an option to staining you could also paint the stand. I stained my stand first and later decided that I did not like how the stain accented my rookie carpentry skills. So I sanded it back down and painted it with some paint I had leftover from another project in the house.

If nothing works to your satisfaction you have 2 choices.
One is paint it. Quick, easy, and cost effective.
Second, go to a paint/stain mixing store and take them a piece of pine and one of your stained doors. Have them custom mix a stain that will go on the pine that will match your stained oak door. It will cost about 20-25 bucks.
Odds are the plan you have in place will work out great. But there are options if it doesn't.

Update(kinda)

These are just some pics i had lying around in my phone.
30g Fits In cabinet!
0307091827.jpg

The doors arrived
0307091824.jpg

0307091826.jpg

0307091825a.jpg

along with the euro hinges
0307091826a.jpg

and these are the side doors im building one is done and one is not. Theyll be held on with magnets
0307091824a.jpg

0307091825.jpg

0304090741.jpg

0304090742.jpg

and these are random shots
0304090740.jpg

0304090740a.jpg

0304090742a.jpg

the only thing holding me back now are the doors i ordered. The height measurement is about 1/16 (maybe 2/16) extra. any suggestions? and the other thing holding me back is money. I'm broke...LOL.

cabinet is looking great. I like the doors and how everything is shaping up.
Are the doors to big or to small? Wasn't quite sure by your post.

thnx cthegame, the only thing i wish now is that the doors would have been a bit too short rather then too tall. and then with the euro hinges the doors are supposed to be on the same plane with the front of the stand. so with the doors i ordered i think i need to sand them down or something because if i leave them like they are with those hinges they wont shut all the way (but very close though). i hope this makes sense

Another Mini Update:

I caulked most of the inside. Only have those big gaps left
0311091254.jpg

0311091255.jpg

0311091255a.jpg

0311091255b.jpg

This is what i used to caulk
0311091256.jpg

and when thinking about those big gaps, i didnt know how i was going to go about filling them. I was able to fill the gaps on the far sides with the extra oak panel peices i had left over from when i did the floor. so i glued them in before i caulked . but then i noticed my dad had some of this laying around
0311091300.jpg

its the grey part that duct tape is made out of (before the put the sticky backing on it) so should i use it? i thought about just covering the entire bottom with it and nailing it so it makes a resevoire. then i thought i could just cut some squares and nail it so it covers those four gaps i have. :dunno:

Back