HeavyHittah's 75 Gallon Reef Build! Be Excited, I Am...LOL

i hope its still safe to post here. i know i know this thing should have been up and running but they working me so hard these days and all i do is sleep on the weekends. but anyway im in the process of getting a sander to make the top flat and level. then everything should go quickly from there.

Now proceed with the throwing of the stones...LOL

well i got the top sanded and all even, and the tank is on top of it as i type this. but the middle supports dont touch the bottom. are you guys' stands like this? i think its because of the plastic rim along the bottom.i should be good right? also i decided to go with the eshoppes overflow, just because of the time/money involved with drilling, making sure everything is perfect, etc. and im so ready to get this going. and bought some magnets for my side doors but i think im going to go with hinges, not too much left to do on the stand though, just got to tie some loose ends. next is getting some baffles made for my sump.

Good progress! When you talk about the middle supports are you talking about the center plastic under the tank? It's okay that it doesn't touch. I think I would drill it, but I tend to drill now ask questions later... can hardly wait to see it up and running either way.

no im talking about the bottom of the tank touching middle wood supports on the stand. i dont know if i can explain it right. but i just think its because the glass rests inside the plastic rim.

??? Is the top of your stand covered in plywood? The tank should just sit on the plywood. Not the glass, but the plastic trim ring.

I think I get what you're saying. You have a wooden beam in the center of your stand. The plastic rims of your tank sit along the edges of your stand, but because the glass is sitting in the plastic rims, it sits slightly higher than the beam that is underneath it.

If that's the case, it's fine. Most tanks are only supported around their edges by the stand.

I think I get what you're saying. You have a wooden beam in the center of your stand. The plastic rims of your tank sit along the edges of your stand, but because the glass is sitting in the plastic rims, it sits slightly higher than the beam that is underneath it.

If that's the case, it's fine. Most tanks are only supported around their edges by the stand.

yea you got it. im bad at explaining things.

as far as wet date, not sure. really depends on how fast i can get this sump made. everything should go fast after that. itll just be an ordering game after that. i wish you guys lived close to me, then it would be like "yea heavy ill come over and give you a hand with that" lol. but oh well. . .im enjoying what i can do with my own two hands.

UPDATE:

handles on doors
0705092012.jpg

the rest are a few steps after. i stained with minwax(aged oak) and this is after 1 coat of poly. probably will do two more (or until my hands get tired of applying random extra coats)
0712091129.jpg

0712091131a.jpg

0712091130.jpg

0712091132.jpg

0712091130a.jpg

0712091131.jpg

well that should about wrap up my diy stand. she may not be the prettiest girl at the prom but she's mine.lol. asthetically it could have been much better, but hey im a noob and never built anything in my life. it was the confidence that i got from this forum that made me even attempt to try so thnx LR. im happy with it (for now). at least i know it can hold a house. ill proabobly do another coat or two of roofing paint for the inside.
im also having my local reef club (CMAC) help me build my sump. this is one project i definately dont want to mess up. this is the diagram
sump-idea-1.jpg

how you guys think i did?

thnx daugherty. i am too ready to get this thing going. the only thing left is get my sump built, eshopps overflow, a lil plumbing. and ill be wet. the lights can wait until my water is right

The stand looks great!

When you build something yourself you tend to focus on the things you could have done better. To everybody else it's just a great looking stand. Nice work.

Last edited:
Back