HeavyHittah's 75 Gallon Reef Build! Be Excited, I Am...LOL

i think ill definitely finish the stand with my first check. drill my tank and get the glass for my overflow. i was going for coast to coast(calfo) but now i think im going to do half the length so...24inx5inx5in

can you drill a tank with a corded drill, i dont think it has a clutch?

Last edited:
I suppose you could drill with a corded drill without a clutch, but I just think it would require you to be more careful. Cool thing about the clutch is if you angle your bit too much and start creating to much stress on the glass the clutch will kick in and you instantly know your doing something wrong.

If you use a corded drill make sure you take is slow. I'd still suggest that you ask friends or family if they have a cordless/clutch drill you can borrow.

+1 Hornet
I wouldnt risk it without a battery drill.I think that if you cant find a drill to borrow,that it would bt safer to have a glass company to drill it.

No update yet. But its coming. In the mean time though, i had my heart set on the 8 bulb tek fixture but i just noticed how wide it is. And i dont think it would fit right in a canopy. Am i wrong? Any of you have this fixture on a 75. I dont really want to use the stands and have the extra hanging over but rather hanging in a canopy where i can maneuver it for Maintenance and such. Any suggestions

the 8 bulb would be too much light for your tank, id go with the 6 bulb, and the tek has no built in cooling so putting it in your canopy would be a very bad idea, its meant to hang or you could buy the mounting kit they make for them here

You have not built a canopy yet have you? If you plan on buying a fixture why not ditch the canopy and rest your fixture on the tank? Most fixtures are designed to be hung over the tank or come with legs that can be rested directly on the tank rim.

I never looked in to it but I thought that people with canopy designs came out cheaper buying ballasts and mounting their lights individually in the canopy.

Well my plan was to hang it from the top of the canopy. With fans built into it. Bad idea? (I didnt think it was that bad.) but i havent start building it yet. i only chose the 8 over the 6 because the price was only a few bucks difference. I dont mind getting the six but can i still hang it from the top of the canopy?

Since you have a canopy why not just do a retrofit kit?

You can get two IceCap 660's, endcaps, standoffs, and reflectors AND if you decide that you did want 8 bulbs, you can cheaply add two more reflectors and endcaps. Plus an IceCap 660 runs the 54W lamps at more like 84-86 watts, and very efficiently. 6 bulbs would be enough with an IceCap.

Just a thought.

Update

I primed the inside with KILZ original. i only used one can. it did the job but two would have been more comfortable for me.
0523091114.jpg

Next i put three coats of this stuff on, (well two on the posts and three in the basin). its a elastomeric (rubberized) paint. its used for roofing, but i figured ill try it after researching it for a while.
0523091208.jpg

0523091208a.jpg

0523091209.jpg

thats it for now, im starting to learn that im having problems finishing the darn thing.
The last two pics are after one coat i believe. the paint is the consistency of marshmallow paste.

Last edited:
Looks good Heavy.
The reason your having trouble with that PAINT,is because thats not paint:D
Its patching hole in the roof.Its basically tar.

no yote i didnt have any trouble with the elastomeric material. but as far as finishing the whole stand. I dont know how to finish it. but i think the elastomeric material will work good.

Opps,I mis-read:D
Just dont get in a hurry with it.You'll get there.
And the Ultra-Roof will do good.You wont have to worry about the wood holding moisture.

Back